There are newer employer reviews for Walmart

Very low pay

Former Employee - Certfied Pharmacy Technician
Former Employee - Certfied Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Friendly co-workers
"We are in it together" kind of atmosphere
Overall, an interesting experience

Cons

Pay is low. It goes up in ridiculous increments of 20-25 cents (in 2005). So earning an increase of 50 cents seemed like a big deal. It felt miserable.

Lots of brainwashing. To make up for low salaries, management tries to make employees feel proud of what they do.

Raising salaries would raise prices, and WM would lose its competitive edge. I think, from a non-employee point of view, management is doing the right thing trying to compensate employees with non-monetary benefits. As a former employee, I can say that a performance raise of 25 cents is insulting.

8556 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart (View Most Recent)

Working at a Neighborhood Walmart

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Easy going type of environment, at our Neighborhood Market anyway. It was hardly stressful except for the Weekends. Lovely people (get to know the other employees, they make the day fly by)

Cons

Sometimes the onslaught of people coming into the store is a bit much
    Rude customers
    Sometimes the compensations for the work you do is not worth it

Don't just supervise, let us know you are willing to do the jobs you ask us to do if we're short a hand or just ridiculously busy

No other company has more promotional opportunities

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Unlimited potential for advancement, literally you can do anything you want with this company. From Stockman (cart pushers) to Store Managers to Market, Regional, or Divisional Managers and all the teams of people that support those roles. Not to mention Asset Protection or Human Resources. Pharmacist, Optometrist, and even Doctors (we have Pharmacies, Vision Centers, and Minute Clinics) are employed. You can transfer between Neighborhood Markets, Distribution Centers, Sam's Club and of course WalMart. You can be a Buyer, you could be a Modular Planner, you could help build stores... or even fly planes. Its mind blowing really when you stop to think of the advancement opportunities.
    Your work changes day to day, there is no monotony here! Seasonal changes, community events and a host of things you prepare for on a daily basis- if you want to succeed you will not be bored!
    You get to work with some really great people and help shape their career path, how exciting is that?

Cons

You do deal with a varied consumer base and it can be frustrating to switch gears to best suit your customer service to the individual needs as often as you do.
    The responsibility is definitely hefty, you can end up termed for something that happened that was not under your control at all times- its imperative that you train the crew of people you rely on well.
    This I would consider both a pro and a con- again in the responsibility category. How many people can say that they are responsible for anywhere from 10 to 50 million (or more depending on your store and your areas of responsibility) in an ASM position? Only in my company!

Make sure you get to know your associates and you truly follow through with what you say you will! As everyone know you get from a job what you put into the job, its our job as management to help associates understand that by truly having a hand in their development.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart