There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce

One of the best places I've ever worked

Current Employee - Site Merchandising in San Bruno, CA
Current Employee - Site Merchandising in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, team environment, incredible talent, ability to drive large decisions, customer focused

Cons

ecommerce within larger brick and mortar retailer, while brick and mortar is by far lion's share of growth

202 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart eCommerce (View Most Recent)

Not the same company it was when I joined

Current Employee - Development in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Development in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home and PTO time is still an option for many
    Most depts are M-F
    Co-workers (non manager) are some of the nicest and most genuine people you will ever meet
    Cafeteria and limited shuttle services offered
    If you know how to navigate yourself around the system here, you will have many opportunities in differing departments.
    Great for worders (regular full-time) who have children. Quite pro-family in some regards.

Cons

Sadly, becoming more of the stereotype that you always think about when Walmart is mentioned. Used to have a start-up vibe and a feeling of family among staff. Not like that anymore.
    Obscene number of "managers" here. Many many full timers have inflated titles.
    Lots of meetings. We have meetings about when to have a meeting.
    Some full-timers that have been here a while are simply unproductive and stunningly lazy, yet still manage to remain. Why, because unlike most Valley employers who hire based on a balance of skills and personality and has checks and balances to make sure those needs are met, many departments here are left to their own devices.
    Lack of diversity. Shockingly so. And they seem to be blind to it nowadays.
    They are starting to feed us employees the same pr statements more so then before which is a red flag for many.
    Many dept managers are allowed to make up their own rules in regards to handling of employees. Some Directors and Senior managers are fantastic at building their teams and motivating them. Some sadly enough fall short and as a result many great employees leave to work elsewhere .
    HR dept is a nightmare and hiring practices are suspect at best and in some cases "allegedly" illegal.
    We've had layoffs here before, can't rule it out in the future.
    Many many MANY contractors on staff here who are expected to adhere to the same standard as us full timers, yet, receive little to none of the same benefits. And for the past couple months, they have been quietly letting many contractors who have been here for YEARS go and replacing them with newer and cheaper contractors. Seriously, that's why they are being shut out, because the company has decided to no longer extend those contracts instead of on-boarding them. This allows them to keep a certain staffing level but avoid paying taxes and benefits etc. Nerve wracking for us blue badgers because many of us were also being laid off not too long ago as well.
    Pay and benefit packages could be much better. Not good compared to similar companies in the area.
    Technology is horribly dated
    Reviews process is in a word: Intense.
    We joke that it's a 5 year training course, as many full-time employees seem to leave at the 5 year mark.

This is an eCommerce company, not a tech dotcom enterprise. The practices that Google and eBay use should not apply to Walmart. We are a company that helps our customers live better, real people, and that standard should apply to the employees as well. ALL employees. Cut down on the contractors. It costs us more in the long run with money, time and constant training. If the position is that crucial, them simply fill it with a full time employee. I can't tell you how many times a program has suffered or it's taken a while to resolve an issue because the person who was in charge of it or the team who developed it were contractors.Create and develop a truly internal training program that workers can utilize that will allow them to gain skills instead of third party programs that are located off-site. We have brilliant people on staff, utilize them.Bring in more visiting speakers like we used to have, they were great and added to the culture.Create a truly anonymous forum so that employees can give feedback and suggestions without fear of retaliation from their managers. Don't nickel-and-dime so much.

Overall okay could be better...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Direct Management was open-minded and enabling

Cons

Culture can get political and cutthroat. Respect, cooperation can easily be lost despite performance

Honestly communicate expectations to subordinates. CARE about your subordinates. Minimize the internal fiefdoms.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce