A re-org every 8 to 12 months

I worked at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

Walmart has great benefits and a super solid HR department. Best I've ever worked with. They're really big on work life balance and they have a few policies, like their open door policies that seem to have the best intentions. Great parking.

Cons

The politics at Walmart are out of control and each department is run like a little fiefdom. Take upper managment at their word at your own peril as they seem to be in it for themselves and not their teams. Working there is like a prison movie - you're never sure who's gonna shank you when your back is turned.

Advice to Management

Endless re-orgs are terrible for morale.

reviews filtered by

Disappointing

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot and gained great benefit from all the classes that were made available either through Walmart themselves or from third party companies that Walmart approved of. Some of the lucky Associates were and probably still are thriving due to the high goal setting of "Walmart ways". I got pushed and challenged and then supported to succeed. That part was great and I miss it dearly.

Cons

Sam Walton had his vision in tacked and wanted the best for everybody...associates and customers. Unfortunately things have drastically changed and upper management are composed of mostly liars. They will smile in your face and stab your back as soon as possible if you don't like their balls sufficiently. Make no mistake, you don't "play the game", you will be rid of in one way or another. HR is a huge component of that. Talk about being set up. Oh how I could go on but I don't wish to chance bad karma.

Advice to Management

None. The good ones left or were asked to leave. Advice is useless and a waste of anyone's time.

Work hard cause tools and processes are not up to par

Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, but this is because you are supposed to put close to 80 hours a week to get anywhere. If you want work life balance, be prepared for not getting promoted or visible. Sure they are a family company and understand that kids need to be picked up, but it is at the expense of your career.

Cons

80 hours/week is expected. Also, they throw people at their tools and processes and pay well because nothing is working (finance) and you are supposed to put together a bunch of manual reporting, fudge with data to get it right, etc. At the same time they are not really investing in tool upgrade unless it is company wide. I would have expected company of this size, especially ecommerce division to be a bit better prepared to handle data.

Advice to Management

Invest some money into really upgrading your reporting systems as well as have more than just couple of people supporting it. It will pay back when you need to make a decision.