Nice place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't come in with very high expectations, but I ended up loving the people I worked with, the technologies used, and the projects I worked on. I learned a lot.

Cons

Walmart is a big company, and sometimes it can be hard to find the right person responsible for a resource.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

On 2nd thought, it's not Arkansas's fault this place is a train wreck

Former Employee - Director in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Low expectations and standards (note, if you are motivated and truly an A player this will drive you crazy)
    - They pay better than start-ups I guess
    - Lifetime employment: it's virtually impossible to get fired at Wal-Mart or walmart regardless of incompetence...see the execs
    - Free sodas and coffee (unlike Wal-Mart in Arkansas)
    - Really good talking points and sales pitch (although reality is the complete opposite)

Cons

- Completely and totally incompetent executive management: exec leadership team comprised of yes-men with no backbone or expertise to push back
    - Unethical execs: the worst was actually pushed out leaving for a much smaller retailer, but don't expect any execs to live by the 3 core beliefs at all (and don't expect the company to care about ethical lapses that impact Associates)
    - This is supposed to be a technology driven company...it's not, execs are clueless, and innovation is simply a talking point
    - Incompetent HR: from comp policies, to how to treat associates, HR is incompetent...and not beyond violating confidentiality of calibration sessions to friends/proteges
    - Agents of change driving to fix problems will get nowhere...this is why top talent is very quick to leave the company and why there is an annual exodus of talent as soon as bonuses are locked down

Advice to Management

Game over! Without any real commitment to fixing problems and upgrading the executive ranks (particularly on the technology side) walmart will continue to fall father behind Amazon. Yes 30% growth is more than 20%, but PR spin aside, I'd rather take Amazon's $10Bn growth vs. walmart's $2Bn. So ignore your own spin and PR and be honest with yourselves. The business is broken, the technology is a disaster and if you need a remind of that recall that the entire web site was priced wrong...and no one knew or did anything for about 12 hours last November.

Great mission. Difficult execution.

Former Employee - Director in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing chance to make life better for people that really need it, all around the world. Resources and backing of the world's largest retailer. A chance to make a difference in ecommerce.

Cons

Walmart is way, way behind Amazon in ecommerce and doesn't seem to want to spend the money to catch up. Constant changes of leadership make it feel a little like the Hunger Games. Which is great if you're on the "winning" project and deadly if you're not.

Advice to Management

There are huge cults of personality things going on. Good luck...