Walmart eCommerce

www.walmart.com
  www.walmart.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce

Great place to work, but needs A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT.

Current Employee - Manager in Brisbane, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

People, Learning Opportunity, Scale and Environment.  People - There are a lot of intelligent, driven and talented individuals who work at Walmart.com.  Learning Opportunity - if you want to learn about email marketing to site engineering,  supply chain to graphic design, the people at Walmart.com are very open in sharing their experiences with you. Some of the best people in these fields work here.  Scale - working for Walmart has its advantages because of its reach and depth in the market.  Working for WMT allows you to touch almost every aspect of a full product cycle. Environment - depending on the grouop, it still has a small, Dotcom feel.

Cons

HORRIBLE benefits, too many meetings and red tape (from Bentonville).  We cannot be a part of the 401k program until your 13th month on the job.  The selection of Health benefits is really bad. The pay is not comparable to similar organizations.  They are making improvements: Bauer shuttle service, fresh organic fruit on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On average, a person will attend 4 meetings a day of which, maybe 1 will be productive.  People need to do work versus meeting just to talk.  Red tape - its hard to get things done when there is a lack fo resources, too many procedures/processes or Bentonville colleagues asking for too much or demanding things right away without knowing how procedures work in Brisbane.

I would say improve employee retention, pay better and provide better benefits.  A lot of great people have left in 2008 because of managements' lack of recognizing great talent.  Management needs to award employees, show appreciation and improve career development opportunities (e.g. promotions, develop new positions, etc.) .  Pay is not competitive with other similar companies.  Benefits need to drastically improve.  How can our employees "Live Better" if we are not allowed to invest in our futures immediately?  Come on, 13 months until we get to start?  How pathetic.

211 Other Employee Reviews for Walmart eCommerce (View Most Recent)

Most people should probably avoid...

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

You will meet some nice people from all over the world. Also, if you like working in an environment where everything is a project you would probably like working here. Salaries are also rather good I believe.

Cons

There are LOTS of inflated egos here. There are also severe resource constraints in engineering and questionable moves to resolve. Most things that are "benefits" are not so to me personally.

Stop micro managing, because there is not enough left over in you to do the job you should be doing in the first place. Please start telling the right people the right things at the right time.

Definitely at an inflection point, company headed for big things flame out or success.

Current Employee - Senior Information Architect in Brisbane, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Architect in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

Definitely family friendly environment, typically no crazy work hours.

Cons

Definitely a place of upheaval! Set some big goals and realized the current product management structure wouldn't allow them to achieve them so had to change. Going to be a painful change for some as lots of people have had it pretty cushy and are now actually going to have to earn their paychecks!

Limit the number of changes done at one time. It's a big deal to try and retool a product organization as well as take on offshoring some development efforts.

There are newer employer reviews for Walmart eCommerce