Walt Disney Company

www.disney.com
  www.disney.com
There are newer employer reviews for Walt Disney Company

Magically magical beyond my expectations and imagination.

I worked at Walt Disney Company as an intern

Pros

Great company culture, extremely creative group to work with.

Cons

Intern rate is not as competitive as other industries.

818 Other Employee Reviews for Walt Disney Company (View Most Recent)

I put up with it because I needed money to pay for college

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are spectacular - free access to parks, discounts on merchandise and food, and tickets for your friends and family.

The co-workers are interesting- I was a lifeguard working summers part-time to give myself some spending money for college. The kids I encountered who were in the International College Program were literally from all over the world and it was really cool to get to know them and learn about where they come from.

The guests- while some guests were a pain to deal with, by and large you're surrounded by people who are having a good time and are friendly. Occasionally I would run into someone who would give me career advice (I'm in school for engineering) and talk to me about their experiences in industry. It was a lot of fun to interact with the happy guests.

Cons

Management- as a lifeguard I had SIX different managers to report to. It was very VERY hard to get anything done because communication broke down constantly, and requests to be cross trained in other areas or to do ANYTHING other than maintain the status-quo were nearly always forgotten or denied. On one occasion, I traded a shift with another lifeguard (a perfectly acceptable thing if you get manager approval) and the manager who approved the change forgot to tell anyone - I received a reprimand for a no-call-no-show, even though it had been approved, and when I asked the manager to fix it, he said "don't worry about it, it'll fall off your record by next year." Not cool.

Ultimately, my employment was terminated because of a policy change which occurred while I was at school and which NONE of my SIX managers bothered to tell me about via a phone call, or email. I still have my badge and my uniform because I had to call Disney to find out I didn't work there anymore. That is completely unprofessional, in my opinion.

The culture also rubbed me the wrong way. I was treated with very little respect, and as though I was always trying to get away with something. Supervisors spy on you from the bushes (and not necessarily for lifeguard auditing purposes). There seemed to be no (or at least, a seldom used) system in place for rewarding good behavior, only for punishing bad behavior. I was talked down to, as though I were a 13 year-old trying to get away with something, rather than an aspiring aerospace engineer in college.

Finally, while I understand the need to appear happy in front of guests, it was almost as if many employees were two-faced. Employees would smile as they walked past you and scowl as they walked back stage. Managers were unapproachable and seemed to work to make themselves more intimidating.

I sensed a strong disconnect between management and staff. Make yourselves more approachable, challenge your employees with new ideas instead of changing small things for no reason, or maintaining the status-quo. LISTEN to your employees and be open-minded- if a request is unreasonable, explain why - don't just pretend it never happened. COMMUNICATE effectively and be mindful of how information is being relayed to your employees. BE AVAILABLE for questions, and above all - treat your staff with some RESPECT. If you can pull off half of these leadership changes, I'd wager you will see a noticeable change in cast member morale.

Low Wages and No Work Life Balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free park passes and discounts on vacation club locations

Cons

No work family life balance. Too much of a sweat shop environment. Low wages and long hours. They cater to the retirees or college program kids that will work for nothing, or they recruit from other countries that want to experience the American dream.

Stop protecting the college program students and start listening to the older educated employees that come in with lots of experience. Stop taking the college program students words as gospel because they are young and very very immature. They show up for work on hangovers.

There are newer employer reviews for Walt Disney Company