Walt Disney Company

www.disney.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Walt Disney Company

great job experience. reasonable work hours. low pay.

Former Employee - Restaurant Guest Service Professional in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Restaurant Guest Service Professional in Orlando, FL

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great perks as far as discounts that apply to disney - merchandise discounts, comp tickets, cruise discounts, etc. great for networking

Cons

challenging to get to your desired position. many people take whatever job they can get to "get in" but its difficult sometimes to cross transfer. also, once you reach a entry level manager position, its difficult to go past that - its a plateau. low pay. many cast members leave the company, then get rehired a few years later with a considerably higher salary than if they were to have stayed on.

up the pay!

910 Other Employee Reviews for Walt Disney Company (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

I have been working at Walt Disney Company part-time

Pros

Great reputation/ Great working environment

Cons

Working a variety of long hours. Late nights/ early mornings.
    Costumes....

Disney College Program

Former Employee - Disney College Program Intern in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Disney College Program Intern in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Company full-time (less than a year)

Pros

For those who are just out of high-school entering the workplace for the *first* time, I can imagine it would be quite a fun and practical experience with plenty of learning lessons and introductions into multiple levels of corporate culture. The program is designed for students from out of town, (despite the overwhelming majority of it's cast members being locals.) The program is quite enjoyable for those whom are NOT presently attending school. (on break or already graduated). The program is set up as 95% front-line work experience, and 5% classes, with many opportunities for optional extracurricular activities; as well as cast member benefits such as discounts, free personal DLR park access, and other fringe benefits dependent on your level of hubris.

Cons

For those whom are local, there is a large portion of the program designed to eschew you, as those from out of town stay in a dormitory where several events are held only for those staying in the dormitory. If you are a local resident, you simply do not attend; while the organizers of the events say otherwise, there is almost no way to attend. For anyone past high-school or whom has worked in an industry you are typecast for (e.g. if you've worked retail they will likely put you in 'merchandising'=retail) It can be a devastating step backward. None of your past skills are assessed or utilized (I was a retail manager for multiple big-box chains for almost a decade, changing careers and in college again, several others were in similar scenarios, past our teen years, but treated as cattle) there was an unspoken but heavily enforced sexism in the merchandising dept: males did heavy lifting, backbreaking hours upon hours of gobacks, whilst females always did folding and tidying up of tables and clothes, there was absolutely zero deviation from this fully enforced sexism, even upon challenging it and escalating it, a coworker once complained of back pain after doing 3 hours of carrying the large baskets of heavy go-backs around and the supervisor told him to put an extra basket in front of him to 'balance out the load' There are many tropes about for and against college program workers, whom the regular workers would call 'temps' or 'CP'. College program workers are given an artificial electronic level of seniority of 2 years to allow for schedule flexibility due to the fact that most DCP CMs are currently in school or working 2 or 3 jobs. Because of this level of seniority, the CP CMs are largely frowned upon by those whom either earned their seniority or do not have it yet despite working there for years, without the same level of schedule flexibility. Scheduling is a gigantic part of the experience as a Disney CM, as you are on a pre-determined schedule assigned to you by a seperate department that is different for every day, you have no say in your schedule other than to *request* (emphasis on the word request) a day off or differently scheduled. CMs are required to seek out other CMs to perform a schedule swap one for one, and there are dozens of rules and regulations imposed, and the system is electronic with no room for accommodation or leeway. You cannot plan a day off too far in advance (e.g. your own wedding in 6 months) or less than 2+ weeks in advance; and your request can be cancelled at any time for any reason. The CMs attendance is operated on a demerit system they call "points". Points are bad, if you are say 10 minutes late, you receive a certain number of points (or points and a half) the point values change frequently, and they are assessed electronically, often times out of sync with their own timeclocks, CMs may accumulate points without their knowledge because they thought they were always on time, only to be reprimanded in surprise. You must always be early for your shift, e.g. if you work at 8am, you must arrive at approximately 7:50am, keep in mind to arrive at your job's checkin location can take between 30 minutes to over an hour to park, and take a shuttle/tram/walk to the location you start work at. Where I worked the average was 55 minutes travel time. Most of these situations pale in comparison however, to the disparity felt by those slighted by their department placement people.
    In my 'class' there were masters-degree earning chefs whom were placed as janitors, legal students placed as bakers, graphic designers placed in retail, hotel hospitality management students placed in ride operations, and electrical engineering students placed as hotel front desk workers. Every class we were missing more and more students, whom I would find out just couldn't take watching their dream slip out of their grasp because there was absolutely zero department changing under any circumstances.
    And finally, something that multiple regular CMs told me while I was there but that I ignored as heresay, proven true: the Disney College Program seems to have been built as a form of union-scab supply, we would see protestors on the streets around DLR regularly, and some held signs protesting *us* the college program CMs. It was difficult to feel pride working for a company so vaunted in culture. But I never lost the Disney inspiration. I just realized that the DCP and the parks were NOT Disney, Disney is in Glendale. Disney parks are in Anaheim. remember that.

Fulfill the promise to DCP CMs in your literature, stop making them work fulltime+ hours doing menial labor, and let them learn from the part of Disney that correlates to their degree they are earning.

There are newer employer reviews for Walt Disney Company