A nice place to work before the greed set in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

My immediate coworkers were extremely warm and caring, and they cared about me as a person.

Cons

I worked in a functional area and didn't feel like there were a lot of people there I could learn from. I came to WaMu with years of Fortune 500 experience in my specialty, and many of the people I worked with seemed like they were in their jobs because they'd been with the bank for years and had just been promoted up through the ranks because they did what executives wanted them to do.

Stay in banking if you can, since many of you would get eaten alive in other industries.

Other Reviews for Washington Mutual

Good salary is possible but beware.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

No cap on comissions. Vast network of branches. Training is provided. Marketing department does a fine job of driving in business. Base is low compared to competition, however total compensation is higher than other banks.

Cons

The amount of office politics and favoritism is rampant. Too many incompetent persons are promoted bypassing more knowledgeable employees. Getting along with your regional manager seems to be key to advance in the company. Knowledge and hard-work on brings envy from co-workers.

the amount of cronyism must end. too many good employees are leaving the company due to hopelessness that can occurr.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

There really are none since the company no longer exists.

Cons

Almost everything about the company is poor. The culture is born of a CYA mentality. People are more concerned with making sure they aren't to blame instead of focusing on the end result. Communication between senior management and staff is apalling. Rarely any communication is sent or spoken, and when it is, it is vague and strained. The benefits, while plentiful, are expensive. The 401k choices are really bad; whoever picked those funds to invest in should've done more research.

That being said, the people that work there are great and friendly.

Be more risk averse.

There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual.

Worked for Washington Mutual? Contribute to the Community!