Washington Mutual

www.wamu.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual

A nice place to work before the greed set in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

My immediate coworkers were extremely warm and caring, and they cared about me as a person.

Cons

I worked in a functional area and didn't feel like there were a lot of people there I could learn from. I came to WaMu with years of Fortune 500 experience in my specialty, and many of the people I worked with seemed like they were in their jobs because they'd been with the bank for years and had just been promoted up through the ranks because they did what executives wanted them to do.

Stay in banking if you can, since many of you would get eaten alive in other industries.

355 Other Employee Reviews for Washington Mutual (View Most Recent)

Used to be great company that went belly up because took too much risk

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

Good pay, good work life balance. Love living and working in the Seattle area. Wonderful offices, nice people. Was definitely one of the best banks out there until the financial crisis hit. Really a shame for things to have happened as they did, I have been really happy with my job there.

Cons

Will probably loss my job in the acquisition, Bad office politics. Need to take fewer risks, be better stewards of capital. The integration with JP Morgan will be an interesting exercise. It will be interesting to see who all is kept and if they will have jobs going forward.

Less risk taking, more risk control

WaMu review

Former Employee - Vice President in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

I enjoyed the camaraderie and team spirit at the lower levels of WaMu - very interactive and collaborative at the core. However, with competitive, often stressed senior management the culture shifted over time into one of blame and finger pointing. Promotional opportunities were available if you were seen as competent.

Cons

Lack of honest communication within the organization. Poorly trained and/or overwhelmed middle management layer often prevented the flow of information. Very blame oriented.

Practice what you preach regarding core competencies of fair - human - caring - etc. - etc. It would be a much better corporate culture if you did.

There are newer employer reviews for Washington Mutual