Meltdown was inevitable

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

Pay was good. Project Management methodology followed PMI industry standards. Management had meetings in person to promote team work and get buyin on the business processes and work, but this just applied to the department that I was in, not global.

Cons

No trust or information sharing between business and IT. Lots of games being played. People so paranoid and cya, that everything in email.

Advice to Management

Don't know how it is now that it's Chase. Advice to WaMu senior management and anyone: when you see the star managers leaving, you know that a meltdown is ahead. Plus, read the newspapers and intranet. Was not in mortgage lending division; would be interesting to hear feedback from people who worked there.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Solid company with poor management.

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Washington Mutual

Pros

One of the best reasons to work for Washington Mutual was the great pay; I never knew it before but we were paid a lot better than other big companies in Seattle. I've been told by many recruiters that I can't expect to make as much as I did before... very sad news. Another great thing about Washington Mutual would be the training (Opex, PMO, QV, etc) there are lots of great classes to develop your project management skills if you are interested in them. Lastly, I worked with really, really fun co-workers. They worked hard (some could've worked a bit harder..) but they were all very kind people that I enjoyed being around.

Cons

The company is gone now and if you wanted to stay on, it would have to be with Chase. I've been with the company for about 4 years and I definitely noticed lots of changes during those 4 years. There were major management changes in my group and although we all tried our best to change as the company began to face difficult situations, it was too little too late. The old project restart was a joke and what came after it was even a bigger joke. The company could've done more to prevent a government takeover but people were too worried about keeping their 'pork' and did not do what was best for the company.

Advice to Management

Don't be so greedy next time and a solid company wouldn't have to go down.

2. A once great place to work...Wishing success to those transferring on to Chase

Former Employee - Technology Manager II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technology Manager II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Washington Mutual

Pros

The best reasons were the friendly and dedicated workers and team-mates. There was a core of very quality people who made up WaMu, particularly in IT. They were true IT professionals who wanted to do the best job possible to keep the branches open and operating and all IT systems in solid functioning order. There were also lots of training opportunities and company sponsored certifications and classes that were open to IT staff members. It was a great learning environment.

Cons

Even before the more serious problems began affecting WaMu, the morale was declining. Many of the"old guard" employees who had principles and ethics were either forced out or quit. It changed from a genuinely friendly place to work, to a place of uncertainty and fear and mistrust of the senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Too late on the feedback, since WaMu is no more...but it would have been to stick to sound lending practices and quality of service