There are newer employer reviews for Washington National Opera

Little room for growth, decent place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Washington National Opera

Pros

Opera!, flexibility, great co-workers and events.

Cons

Limited mobility and innovation, internal communication could be improved.

Advice to Management

The state of leadership is currently undergoing reorganization. This, of course leads to a lot of communication misalignment and confusion. As soon as this is resolved, WNO will be in great shape.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A very rewarding experience

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Washington National Opera as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, high artistic quality, very good facilities, sound leadership, skilled colleagues . . . I'm not sure what else to say! It has been one of my favorite employers.

Cons

The only drawback is in the nature of the employment itself, or perhaps that of the interest in and cost of producing opera, in that there are only a few contracts available per season as the company only performs a few productions a year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Recurring negotiations with the union seem to always go very well, and job satisfaction seems phenomenal, at least from my perspective.

2. Stitcher

I worked at Washington National Opera

Pros

Great people to work with - everyone pitches in and acts as a team. Attending the dress rehearsals is a huge bonus.

Cons

Work is physically taxing at times, long hours of hand work can be very hard on your back and neck muscles.

Advice to Management

It might be good to have some events where employees of the costume shop can get to know each other better, like a dinner before a performance or a coffee break.