Freedom to Think

Former Employee - R E Lee Research Scholar  in  Lexington, VA
Former Employee - R E Lee Research Scholar in Lexington, VA

I worked at Washington and Lee for less than a year

Pros

Gained real world experience through hands on research in an environment that was designed to support and grow my mind.

Cons

Interaction with others left me desiring more human contact. It was a very isolated community with little to do outside of work.

Other Reviews for Washington and Lee

Nice people, smart students, plenty of money for student and professional development

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Lexington, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Lexington, VA

I have been working at Washington and Lee full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Most people here are very nice, and the staff is competent.
    -Students are bright, though some could work harder.
    -There are numerous small purses for summer research students, additional stipends, conference travel, visiting speakers, and entertainment. If you need to do something good for students or your professional development, there is money/time/opportunity for it, and that is quite fulfilling.

Cons

-People are people, and some influential people (at least in my stay) are passive-aggressive, secretive, manipulative, or dishonest in some way.
    -Tiny town.

Aim higher. Expect more of your students. You seem to extol the successes while at the same time maintaining a low-enough bar to avoid embarrassing anyone. It should be possible to fail.

A great learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, VA

I have been working at Washington and Lee part-time for more than a year

Pros

Honor Code, and the general accountability understanding that results. People are given the freedom to work as they see fit as long a job is done and done well.

Cons

Sometimes the students can be outrageous. But most are very respectful. And obviously, being a college campus, jobs vary far and wide, service jobs will differ vastly from administrative.

There are newer employer reviews for Washington and Lee.

Worked for Washington and Lee? Contribute to the Community!