Waste Management

www.wm.com

Great Company for Waste Professionals

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse offering, niche services, stable company

Cons

Wall Street focus interfeering with operations & growth.

Worry about keeping good people & smart growth initiatives.

Other Reviews for Waste Management

VERY DECEIVING! DON'T LET THE FAKE SMILES FOOL YOU.

Former Employee - Inside Commercial Representative  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Commercial Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

STRONG COMPANY, GOOD MONEY IF YOU GET IT! GREAT, INTELLIGENT, HARD WORKING DEDICATED EMPLOYEES!

Cons

Compensation is told to you at an interview w/ potential sales commission. Much like the bait and switch. Then every excuse is given to lower or take half of what you make. No consistency! No Structure. Management has a great way of belittling their employees, always giving them feeling of inadequetcy. Huge turnnover. No communication. Slow, outdated computer programs. Everything takes forecver to come up or to process. Saleforce is so hard to figure out and makes the order process almost impossible. Must be good for pulling up their numbers as they micromanage, but a nightmare for the person who has to use it. Very disgruntled work environment. Employees are not happy and no one listens to them. Many false promises. No training. EXTREME STRESS!

No one should have their commissions taken away because of a bad call, ESPECIALLY IF THE CUSTOMER WAS HAPPY WHEN THE CALL ENDED. Your sales reps work so hard for you to do that to them. Again, this is where TRAINING AND COACHING is better, especially when your QMT is all over the place, nothing consistent. I had mouths to feed. After that was done to me, I could not function for two days! I sold nothing, I felt like I did not know what I was doing. All I thought about is how am I going to survive this hit. Other employees went thru the same thing. I know now, it is not me! I AM VERY GOOD AT SELLING. By doing that, you made everyone have no trust or respect for you. I think you make your employees paranoid, scared & not able to get on the phones at all after they were told you did not make your QMT. You need to train your staff, not hurt and punish them! If you treat someone well they will do good for you. Good training will save so much money. HUGE amounts of time were wasted trying to figure things out , then employees are repremanded when they did it wrong. Management will not help, they give you a handout and your told to learn it, with no time to learn it because calls are non stop. Simple procedures are immensley complicated and keeps customers on the phone too long. Need to keep it simple. There is no communication between staff and management. Staff is scared of management, so afraid to express what.s wrong because they are written up or given a stern warning. I was told if I dont like I know where the door is!. No consistency at all, makes for so many errors and a confused environment. . Great hardworking employees, I feel bad for them, they are a bunch of depressed stressed out zombies stuck there because our ecoonomy is so bad. That QMT script is a joke, customers said we sounded like a bunch of robots...especially returning customers that had to call us on daily basis and have to hear the same thing over and over being forced to hear about products that they dont want and being shoved down their throat so the agent can meet a QMT score. No customer repore, no personalization given, make sure you hit everything on that list or we'll take your COMMISSION which sn not a 100 dollars but can be thousands of dollars depending what the agent has sold. Employees depend on their commissions!
    Stress levels were at maximum, just short of a heart attack, I left because of that, just was not worth it anymore. I was always sick, now I know it was that place that got me sick all the time. My stomach would turn as I walked thru the door. Many employees end up in the hospital for depression, high blood pressure, strokes, chronic back problems, tennis elbow etc. This is why insurance is so high. You spend thousands of dollars in the beginning w/ some training then you throw it all away with these stupid ideas and micromanagement to the point of the customers expense. Peolple leave. So much pressure, you need to care about the people who are trying to sell for you and make you money. Everyone I worked with there were on some sort of medication. That has to tell you something. Should be more sick time, Many employees coming to work very sick w/ no healing time not to mention getting everybody else sick. Ridiculous point system also adds to the stress. Always think the guys in Houston put that out because they are not from the Midwest or the East where it snows and sometimes you just cant get to work, and if it's a MONDAY, watch out, you got 2 point. Employees are not allowed to take off on a Monday ever! No matter how early you leave things do happen. Shame, I had some good friends ask if I can get them in when I was there, my reply to them was I WON'T DO THAT TO YOU, YOU DONT WANT TO WORK THERE, I LIKE YOU TOO MUCH! Hope this finds it's way to someone who cares and who can help my ex-coworkers that are stuck there. I still keep contact with many, very sad to hear how worse it's getting. Show some heart. Put yourself in their shoes. So glad for this website, maybe people finally have a chance of being heard.

Good Company to Work for!

Current Employee - Internal Auditor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and encouraging team.

Cons

Workload can be tough, needs more work/life balancing.

Manage the workload better.

There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management.

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!