Waste Management

Great, but disappointing experience

Current Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a great internship experience from 2008-2010. I got hired full time after college graduation by the same department. Overall, it has been a great learning experience for me and I enjoy working with my coworkers and colleagues from other departments. I have developed close relationships with many employees and managers. The pay is decent, but the benefits are awesome. These are some things I will miss, as my tenure at WM is about to come to an end.

Cons

The company postponed our raises this year....which was very disappointing. I'm at a level 1 position, doing the same work as a level 2 analyst, but I'm severely underpaid - and I have a Bachelor's degree. I asked about becoming a level 2 analyst, learning more tasks, and taking some training classes to market myself more. I either got no response or I got turned down.

Micromanaging happened a lot in my department, which was very irritating. It has gotten much worse within the past several months. Instead of focusing on our jobs, we got these unrealistic standards and goals we have to meet on a monthly basis. In addition, management was not focused or concerned about our career development. The only thing they cared about was the analysts meeting those goals each month.

For the past several months, I tried to apply to different positions within the company. But they always post experienced, senior level positions that I do not qualify for. I have never understood why - for the business analyst positions, they always wanted someone with 5+ years of experience - like they do not want to train anyone. And the ones I did qualify for and apply to, I never got contacted or considered for the position. I was lucky to get one interview, although I did not get the position. There are very few opportunities for advancement, and for someone like me who is trying to start a career, it is very discouraging and disappointing. I managed to gain some experience by cross-training with another department. When they had a position open, they really wanted me on their team. Even my manager was all for it. But the VP on our floor said no, and that they should get someone more experienced. Really?? That happened twice.

Lastly, the company decided to outsource our department last month, and the employees, including myself, are getting laid off at the end of December. What disappointed me the most was how it was done, and the fact that WM did not do enough for their employees. I am hoping that I can get another position within the company if possible, but it does not look good now, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Think about your employees more and give them a chance to grow in the company. All job postings should not be geared more toward experienced, senior level positions. How do you expect to give less experienced individuals a chance to grow and advance if you do not give them a chance?

447 Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management (View Most Recent)

Pricing Analyst - IL

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst  in  Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benfits are good
    Pay is average with the industry
    Stable Company

Cons

Currently in a transition stage that hasn't worked out as planned
    Tring to integrate two companies that aren't seeing eye to eye and making it difficult for the people not at the top. Have recently fired many employees due to realignment.

Get this transition under control so that the people who this affects the most can go back to doing their job without worries of the integrity fo the data they receive.

Company in transition

Current Employee - Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large Company with many positions in different locations. Industry leader.

Cons

Lack of respect for employees. Cost cutting has caused work load overload at all levels. Seems to be in financial difficulities although stock price is not really being effected.

The employees at WM work very hard and care about their jobs. It is too bad that Sr Management does not care about the employees. Cost cutting is important in this economy but it should start at the top not in the rank and file. New ideas for increasing market share and profitability would be nice rather than the same old thing that has not proved to be effective. The company needs direction but feels as if it is floundering all over the place.

There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!