Waste Management

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Territory Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most co-workers are great to work with. Benefits package is nice.

Cons

Upper Management only knows one business plan if you can't make your numbers cut the number of employees. I made it through many work reductions each year only have more work and higher goals to reach. This past August 2012 it was was my turn to be cut ater ten years of dedication.

You need to change your business plan. The reason you are losing so many customers is not because of your sales force or operations. You need to stop all the increase fees that you are charging your customers after they sign a contract. Remember it is suppose to be a beneficial for both sides of a contract. NO company or person wants to work or stay with another company that nickles and dimes for years.

447 Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management (View Most Recent)

The Runts of WM make all the difference

Current Employee - Operations Specialist  in  Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits-AWESOME! right now that is the ONLY pro it has going!

Cons

Pile on the work. no OT allowed. No training or help. No raises either.

The employees, who haven't had a raise for over 2 yrs now are the ones keeping this company going, and not because of you but in spite of you. You are are so worried about getting your face in the news to make yourself look good you have let a great company go to hell. What about alittle common sense in that in order for an employee to succeed maybe you should train them in stead of piling more on them, giving no help, no allowance for overtime, oh wait but the drivers and mechanics can, then wonder why people keep quitting right and left. And seriously, what the hell is up with dividing upper management and regular employees who work in the same building? Do you honestly believe that you are so much better than the rest of that you should be able to make the "first floor" employees walk in from the back and they are not allowed up to the "second floor" unless they have Badge?... And maybe you should get a clue that Urban and Rural areas are different and so are the peoples way of life.

Great, but disappointing experience

Current Employee - Technical Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a great internship experience from 2008-2010. I got hired full time after college graduation by the same department. Overall, it has been a great learning experience for me and I enjoy working with my coworkers and colleagues from other departments. I have developed close relationships with many employees and managers. The pay is decent, but the benefits are awesome. These are some things I will miss, as my tenure at WM is about to come to an end.

Cons

The company postponed our raises this year....which was very disappointing. I'm at a level 1 position, doing the same work as a level 2 analyst, but I'm severely underpaid - and I have a Bachelor's degree. I asked about becoming a level 2 analyst, learning more tasks, and taking some training classes to market myself more. I either got no response or I got turned down.

Micromanaging happened a lot in my department, which was very irritating. It has gotten much worse within the past several months. Instead of focusing on our jobs, we got these unrealistic standards and goals we have to meet on a monthly basis. In addition, management was not focused or concerned about our career development. The only thing they cared about was the analysts meeting those goals each month.

For the past several months, I tried to apply to different positions within the company. But they always post experienced, senior level positions that I do not qualify for. I have never understood why - for the business analyst positions, they always wanted someone with 5+ years of experience - like they do not want to train anyone. And the ones I did qualify for and apply to, I never got contacted or considered for the position. I was lucky to get one interview, although I did not get the position. There are very few opportunities for advancement, and for someone like me who is trying to start a career, it is very discouraging and disappointing. I managed to gain some experience by cross-training with another department. When they had a position open, they really wanted me on their team. Even my manager was all for it. But the VP on our floor said no, and that they should get someone more experienced. Really?? That happened twice.

Lastly, the company decided to outsource our department last month, and the employees, including myself, are getting laid off at the end of December. What disappointed me the most was how it was done, and the fact that WM did not do enough for their employees. I am hoping that I can get another position within the company if possible, but it does not look good now, for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Think about your employees more and give them a chance to grow in the company. All job postings should not be geared more toward experienced, senior level positions. How do you expect to give less experienced individuals a chance to grow and advance if you do not give them a chance?

There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!