There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management

South Western, Pa office management is a joke and you know who
you are.

Current Employee - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Waste Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All of the drivers and helpers are great people. We all get along and joke with each other from the start of your employment. Yes some rassing and colorfull jokes about wifes/ families and all that. But none of it comes from a bad place just a messing around not seriouse place.
Plus you make a decent wage. But you also earn every penny of it not work for the lazy.

Cons

Managment/ route managers are all about evil and coniving as can be. They all act like they are there to help when corprate or head boss's are around. But really are just lazy or dont care about anything but keeping there job and getting more work done. Esp while teling you to be safe but hurry up.
Most route managers are so damn lazy they dont even try or care what happens to you since they are in a office and you arent in front of them. Till you complain to the right person and a email gets sent to corprate/ upper management.

Other managers always talk about, Hey great job out there.... BUT... we need more productivity. You could litterally do 1000 homes in a hour (not really possible but just listen) and they would tell you they need more from ya.
Or on rolloff side you could have 6 pulls for the day and all six have wrong directions, address's, phone numbers and wrong towns. So you spend all day on phone with dispatch (who is two states away and has no clue where you are or what the area is like). And end up getting 3 of the 6 and then your managers just call you lazy and its your fault. No it isnt billing or sales fault every bit of info on the customer was wrong it is YOUR fault and you better get you numbers up.

I havent even got into the always changing or can be interpreted two different ways rules. Interpitation always go against you and for management.

Advice to Management

Promote more drivers for route manager/ office jobs. Because they know the routes and the areas in which the drivers go everyday. And the drivers actually respect them after working with them for so many years. Also the drivers know they can get help from a fellow/ ex driver more adiquitly than a never drove but know it all and doesnt help any, other person.
Just because some person has a degree doesnt mean they know what it says they do. Mabey make it a requirement that to be management or considered for management you have to drive for at least a year. Maybe two years or something like that.

And stop instituing new rules every other week. Mabey stop useing the stupid dash cams to nitpick and suspend drivers for stupid things like omg he was doing 32mph in a 30mph zone and hit a bump setting off the dashcam . And holy crap it happened twice now he is suspended cause he is unsafe driver.
Then next week saying why did he cash in all his vacation pay and quit after 20 years on the job.

Waste Management Response

Jun 9, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We take your feedback seriously, and it has been shared anonymously with HR so we can continuously improve our work environment.

reviews filtered by

unprofessional upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

maybe better insurance than other companies

Cons

management needs to be more in touch with employees

Beware of wolves in Sheep clothing

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Decent insurance and benefits although they do take away little by little ever year. Some teams/territories are better and more cohesive than others, depends in what manager you get. There are a couple good managers.

Cons

High cost for customer, constant price increases, many customer complaints to deal with as sales people.
    Your experience will n determined by what team you are on. There are teams with high turn over and a few with long standing employees that are making good money, but only a few. Long cycle to build funnel and will take 6 months to hit goal because today's sales will have contracts that have months on their current contracts.
    You will find a few really good people but watch out for some, they are toxic and back stabbing. I was on a team where the 2 favorites (one related to a top dog with the company) didn't like that I was determined to make money, they told me to quit making so many dials, it made them look bad and would get their quota raised. Seriously, we are there to work and make money. The fact that the manager made a few comments about how well I was doing upset their way of life. Some people don't have to work because they are handed leads and sales from outside members, some don't. These 2 jokingly said they could remove me like so many others to find out they get people fired when they want. I figured bill but learned there are some there that if you make them look bad or lazy or they fear a call count in tease, or that you will surpass them in sales even though it would take a year at least to do, or they just don't like you, they will campaign against you. With a smile on their face and manipulation if your boss and co workers, they will make you hate your job, fear being fired and more importantly turn people against you and before you know it the entire team in plotting to get you fired and a trap is set for you to walk in. It was insane the office bull I lived thru there and when it boils down to why this happens, bad team them era related to higher ups who can do what they want. Absolutely sick, I was told I was one in a long list of people that 2 people somehow have the power to make life he for and no one stands against them. Beware of the wolves in Sherpa clothing

Advice to Management

Be aware of what your team is doing. Act proactive instead of reactive. I sis get help from manager at first and that was good, thank you. I did get recognition for doing above what I was required because I wanted to make money and work hard, that's a good quality, but be aware of who is genuinely there to benefit themselves and the company and who is there to get an easy check. Be aware of how your emotes are treating each other. I know that's hard when every manipulation is done with a smile and a "your the best boss" behind it but you have a select few that are laying traps for others and ruining the experience because they can. It makes a good office turn sour and they can. Please correct this because I would still b there and outselling everyone putting bonus $ in your pocket. Don't you want high achiever a rather than just barely achievers.

There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management