Waste Management

decent place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

good people, good benefits and decent environment

Cons

heavy handed management who do not listen

use of social media to get all employee information. there is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped

528 Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management (View Most Recent)

Have to get their bonus...Self preservation...

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

The benefits were really good and most of my co-workers were excellent. The facilties were very nice also.

Cons

It does not matter how well you do in your job. My PDS goals were off the charts and I was an Emerald Circle Winner. I was at 150 % of my sales goal for the year and that my friends was not good enough for the Wisconsin/ Minnesota market area. But at the end of the day, that was not enough to save my job as the market area needed to save two million dollars in the 4th quarter. Go figure, lets fire a rep because he is making good money. Hello, if I'm making good money so are you, my deals averaged a 29% ebit overall. Believe me if you can sell trash and recycling at Waste Management, you can sell it anywhere, trust me.

You need to get your reps closer to the customer which is what you managers preech all the time. But in order to get that accomplished, you should not sever good reps who know how to do their job effectively. Trim the fat at the market area sales director position where the waste really is. Have the functional managers report directly to either the segment director or the regional manager I.E The midwest or whatever region. Oh and one more thing, Segmentation will not work but I guess I have to have an MBA to figure that out.

Poor technology and backwoods thinking.....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Some of my co-workers were real gems and I will maintain lifelong friendships with them.

Cons

They are still using Windows XP - they are going to "upgrade" to Windows 2000.
    Departments fight with each other and there is no feeling of a common goal.
    Employees are not treated fairly by management....it's all bean counting and how they can line their pockets.
    All operating systems are old, slow and waste time. Trying to fix any kind of billing error or account issue can take weeks, if not months.

Invest in some update technology. It will make everyone's life easier. Treat others the way you want to be treated.

There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management