Waste Management

www.wm.com
There are newer employer reviews for Waste Management

View of the company from the bottom.

Current Employee - Lead Technician in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - Lead Technician in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

The best reasons to work for Waste Management is that being a mechanic you get to work on multiple types of trucks and bodies and understand the different types and how they work. You get a bigger variety of experience so that if for some reason you need to look for another job you have more experience. The insurance is pretty good and at my shop we have probably one of the best insurances you can get probably in the country for the middle class, but that will probably be changing here soon but they still offer one of the best insurances that I have heard of. All of the employess do work very well together and of the couple of the shops that I have worked in everyone gets along very well.

Cons

The downsides for me as a mechanic is that you are working with trucks that pick up garbage and there are always health risks that are involved but I have never heard of anything serious happening here. I do think that management people should be promoted within and brought in from other companies. The trash business is different from any other business and when you have someone come in that has never seen a garbage truck up close aside from passing one on the street that dont really understand what goes on. I have worked with one manager in the maintenance area that did not know what a simple component on the brake system was. So the biggest downside is everyone wants run a business that they dont know much about or how it affects people below them.

I do not think I have really any advice to give the senior management, you dont really get to senior management without knowing what you are doing. I would like to see some of them step down to the lower levels as in driving and mechanic work and work with those people for a little bit so that they can see what actually goes on.

519 Other Employee Reviews for Waste Management (View Most Recent)

Waste Management is a Waste

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Fellow employees are very friendly. Benefits are good. Hours are decent. The atmosphere was one of comraderie and helpfulness. If it were not for OTHER factors, I would still be there. The benefits were good compared to what I have now. The retirement benefits were REALLY good. Fully vested at the start. It was close to home, and the working hours were good. A rather laid-back office atmosphere promoted good working relationships with most of the employees. Past management went out of their way to show and demonstrate appreciation for a job well done, and a willingness to promote growth.

Cons

LARGE corporate structure. Offices all across the country, and trying to make them ALL function the same, regardless of individual areas situations and requirements. Uses a strict and stringent customer service monitoring tool in the hopes of acheiving a VERY high level of customer service satisfaction, but it is almost impossible for employees to acheive the level they strive for and get the job done. Employs J.D. Powers surveys as a guage of customer satisfaction, and does not take the complete picture into account.

Concentrate on service to the customer at street level, stop relying on misleading surveys and hyper-quality issues and let your employees do their jobs without having to worry about if they apologized enough times to a customer, and whether or not they used the correct term for the length of time a customer would be on hold, etc, etc, etc....

to saftey concious from non drivers

Current Employee - Driver in Bremerton, WA
    Current Employee - Driver in Bremerton, WA

I have been working at Waste Management

Pros

outside work not a olt of hassles

Cons

very anal management just reads out of a book that someone in a suit sitting behind a desk wrote not willing to listen to its workers

go out into the field