Wawa

There are newer employer reviews for Wawa

Responsive, people-oriented company

Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits include great insurance, 401k, ESOP, and tuition reimbursment. Our corporate support system is fantastic and available 24 hours a day. Upper management is very responsive and open-minded to new ideas. Wawa is not afraid to listen and respond to its customers and employees. Store level management is roughly 60% internal promotions, so the GM can relate, and there are lots of opportunities for a career.

Cons

Though it is a great company, at the end of the day, it is still a gas station/convenience store to a lot of people. There are days where we deal with being looked down upon, or talked down to. There is also trash to be pulled, bathrooms to be cleaned, and there is a lot of cleaning up after people who have little respect for us or our store.

Keep your ears and your mind open to ideas from the customers and employees. They are the "front line" of our company, and without them, we wouldn't be where we are today!

323 Other Employee Reviews for Wawa (View Most Recent)

Customer Service Associate/Supervisor

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Wawa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of stores and more coming as WAWA wants to increase down into Florida. They expect a lot from the employees but there are not any real consequences other than a chat.

Cons

In Virginia it seems WAWA hires from outside for Upper Management, not real good at cultivating talent from the inside. Several people at my store want to move up and get promoted but the mentoring is not there. Only a few know how to mentor. The people we keep getting are from outside. I have been with WAWA almost 2 years as CSA and my current GM has been with WAWA for 8 months. Seems like a disconnect somewhere.

Get out of the office and get into a store. The service industry is one of service, not just making decisions from your desk. Try more Undercover Boss assignments.

Poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wawa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Coffee
    Safety is important
    Buildings are well lit
    Police are constantly in the locations which is awesome
    Plenty of hand washing sinks
    Incredible coding machine that makes a printed label for food once opened to ensure proper time and temperature

Cons

We open new stores without the proper amount of associates to handle a Grand Opening
    If you work in the deli you will be over worked and expected to do three times the work of someone working the register area.
    Managers are hardly ever scheduled during the peak times.
    Managers retreat to the office to do paperwork during lunch.
    Managers cheat the speed of service scoring by printing tickets and make the food off of those tickets to cheat the time to look better on paper during their shifts.
    During training the management pretended to be building a family but once grand opening was done and they used the new employees they cut hours across the board.
    They throw around how they value you, but it is inconsistent.
    Breaks are a fluke unless you smoke.
    They brought down seasoned Wawa people to Florida but they were not qualified to handle the stress of how busy it is. Poor selectors of talent.
    When the deli is busy, the managers ring the register because it is a easy task.

Building in Florida too fast. The standards at our stores are falling apart. All the little things you said to us in training, like we will be cleaner, faster, more respectful of our customers time is turning out to be untrue. Walk the gas court and they are filthy like the competitors you said we would rise above. Pick better managers who can handle the stress and have those managers work nights, overnights and lunches. Review the managers schedules so that they don't schedule all the talent when they are working. Spread the talent around so everyone gets a shot at having some talent on all shifts.

There are newer employer reviews for Wawa