Responsive, people-oriented company

Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - General Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Wawa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits include great insurance, 401k, ESOP, and tuition reimbursment. Our corporate support system is fantastic and available 24 hours a day. Upper management is very responsive and open-minded to new ideas. Wawa is not afraid to listen and respond to its customers and employees. Store level management is roughly 60% internal promotions, so the GM can relate, and there are lots of opportunities for a career.

Cons

Though it is a great company, at the end of the day, it is still a gas station/convenience store to a lot of people. There are days where we deal with being looked down upon, or talked down to. There is also trash to be pulled, bathrooms to be cleaned, and there is a lot of cleaning up after people who have little respect for us or our store.

Advice to Management

Keep your ears and your mind open to ideas from the customers and employees. They are the "front line" of our company, and without them, we wouldn't be where we are today!

Other Employee Reviews for Wawa

1. Amazing Company!!!

Current Employee - ACE
    Current Employee - ACE

I have been working at Wawa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Networking constantly. Stock sharing. Monthly bonuses. Many growth opportunities. Working for a company that cares!

Cons

No cons that would change my mind about working for company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Wawa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee Safety is important Buildings are well lit Police are constantly in the locations which is awesome Plenty of hand washing sinks Incredible coding machine that makes a printed label for food once opened to ensure proper time and temperature

Cons

We open new stores without the proper amount of associates to handle a Grand Opening If you work in the deli you will be over worked and expected to do three times the work of someone working the register area. Managers are hardly ever scheduled during the peak times. Managers retreat to the office to do paperwork during lunch. Managers cheat the speed of service scoring by printing tickets and make the food off of those tickets to cheat the time to look better on paper during their shifts. During training the management pretended to be building a family but once grand opening was done and they used the new employees they cut hours across the board. They throw around how they value you, but it is inconsistent. Breaks are a fluke unless you smoke. They brought down seasoned Wawa people to Florida but they were not qualified to handle the stress of how busy it is. Poor selectors of talent. When the deli is busy, the managers ring the register because it is a easy task.

Advice to Management

Building in Florida too fast. The standards at our stores are falling apart. All the little things you said to us in training, like we will be cleaner, faster, more respectful of our customers time is turning out to be untrue. Walk the gas court and they are filthy like the competitors you said we would rise above. Pick better managers who can handle the stress and have those managers work nights, overnights and lunches. Review the managers schedules so that they don't schedule all the talent when they are working. Spread the talent around so everyone gets a shot at having some talent on all shifts.