Wayfair
www.wayfair.com Boston, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great Opportunities, Great Trajectory with Some Growing Pains

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wayfair

ProsHaving been at Wayfair for more than four years, I've seen rapid growth of the business and a few iterations on the organizational structure of the company. Too often, companies are hesitant to make major changes, but those changes have enabled Wayfair to keep up with such significant growth. The company hires many employees directly out of college, and they are given significant responsibility and opportunities as they prove themselves. It's an environment that rewards thoughtful risk-taking and use of data to inform decision-making and business cases.

I'd also say that Wayfair is far more transparent than other companies of its size. Employees have access to most financial and operational data through the company's internal reporting system as long as they have the intellectual curiosity to explore it.

ConsAs others have mentioned, compensation, particularly for people that have done very well and are only a year or two out of school, is below market. Generally speaking, those employees will be taken care of as they move into management positions, but there isn't enough separation created between stars and role players at the early levels.

The bonus program doesn't create significant incentives - given the limited difference between star performers and people doing just enough not to get fired, there is a major free-rider problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul the bonus program - create more upside for star performers. Keep an eye on people that are successful early-on and proactively reward them.

Fast growing, lot's of opportunities, and great culture

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros: As a fast growing online retailer, there are many opportunities for those who join the company, both entry level personnel and experienced hires. Wayfair… Cons: See advice to management below. Advice to Senior Management: As in any fast growing company, comp programs are a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to learn and grow

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros: Wayfair is truly a meritocracy. When people advance, it is always for very good… Cons: Starting salaries in the company have historically been below market. Management is now quickly realizing that recruiting the top… Advice to Senior Management: Don't let promotions fly under the radar. There are a surprising number of comments here about advancement being random. If employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Wayfair.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wayfair reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah. All reviews posted anonymously by Wayfair employees.