Wayfair

www.wayfair.com
  www.wayfair.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair

Wayfair hires a lot of new grads, great stepping stone

I worked at Wayfair

Pros

If you are in the "know" you will go places. There are a lot of internal moves which gives you potential to explore different segments of the business. First job out of college adjusting to the real world can be hard, Wayfair is very laid back which made it easier at first.

Cons

As time went on the cons out weighed the pros. HR needs to step up or something bad might happen. I didn't see how poorly I was treated because this was my first job out of college. My first two managers loved me and promoted me and my third manager fired me because of "performance issues"....I was not given a written or a verbal warning. It's all about who you know rather than performance.

HR needs to step in and regulate. Management might be under extreme pressure, it seems like they do not care who they step on to get to the bottom line.

322 Other Employee Reviews for Wayfair (View Most Recent)

Reward good performance and additional workload with higher compensation

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Very relaxed (but deadline oriented) corporate culture, upper management doesn't have private offices, encouraging of open communication in the workplace

Cons

Consistently lower salary than industry levels, very little concentration on transferable skills, very little attention to career advancement of lower/middle-level employees

more focus on middle management, encourage more growth towards leadership roles/upper management for employees that are very experienced with the business model and internal systems

Good experience straight out of college, not worthwhile if you already have career experience

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Wayfair mostly hires employees straight out of school, which is great if you fall into this category. You'll be able to fit in easily and build relationships with your colleagues.

Cons

Wayfair definitely takes advantage of its young employees and pays them the bare minimum. Most of their employees haven't worked at any other companies so aren't sure exactly what to expect in terms of compensation. Comparable roles at other companies pay 20%-50% more. Because of this, the best talent usually leave after 1-2 years.

There is a glut of middle management. They are mostly people who have been with the company for a while. Most of these managers are mediocre and lack the experience and talent for their position. There are some exceptions to this but for the most part, you'll be frustrated working them. They won't be able to offer you any guidance or direction.

The equity plan was clearly meant for upper management. It is ineffective at retaining your middle and lower employees and most see it as a sham.

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair