Wayfair

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair

Good Culture Bad Pay

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a fun environment to work in. The people are really cool and there are many opportunities to learn. It's a laid back work culture and the company throws an event every quarter where they give out free booze and food.

Cons

The biggest gripe is below average pay. There are many other engineers making more money with other companies in Boston. The ramp up process can be very slow and the process to train new people isn't very efficient.

322 Other Employee Reviews for Wayfair (View Most Recent)

Great place to Grow a group of friends not a career

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great place to meet other young recent graduates in the city. They used to have hiring standards like having a college degree - not anymore.

Cons

If you are looking for a sales job, the compensation is well below (base + bonus) most over companies in Boston. Bonus is still at managers/ upper managements discretion, they are known to not give a bonus. Lack of transparency with bonus qualifiers doesnt make it easy to make a bonus. There isn't much room for growth in terms of sales. People tend to leave after a few years since there isn't much room for growth. Changing departments = getting a lower salary

Competitive salary. Create more room for growing a career.

Great Place to Grow and Develop your Career

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair

Pros

Wayfair has a fast-paced, ever changing environment that thrives on the 'go-get-em' mentality. People who work hard, are motivated, and want to learn are definitely rewarded. There are so many opportunities here to grow & develop yourself and your career here, but like anything else it’s totally up to the individual to take advantage of these opportunities.

The spirit of information sharing is unique to any other company, and managers encourage their employees at all levels to feel empowered by what they are doing. This makes for a really fulfilling and enjoyable work environment. There is also just enough of a competitive undertone that motivates everyone to do better.

Cons

The constantly changing environment can be a challenging one to manage, especially if the change is not communicated effectively and thoroughly. Due to the growth, I think that upper management makes changes on a re-active basis and not a pro-active basis. So movement can sometimes seem abrupt or unplanned. i think it could be easily resolved with more communication from all departments.

Salary comes up a frequently as a con. And while I agree that we may be on the lower end of market value, I think it's important to realize that we work amazing hours (9-6), have great benefits, and entry level employees have 16 paid vacation days. This is basically unheard of anywhere else. I would, however, agree that the bonus structure should be more rewarding/inciting.

Maintaining the corporate (or rather un-corporate) culture is going to be crucial as we continue to grow. This should definitely be a focus for upper management. Otherwise, continue doing what you are doing!

There are newer employer reviews for Wayfair