There are newer employer reviews for Wayne State

Dysfunctional Work Environment, Hiring is done by a network of cronyism and nepotism

Current Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good medical benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Management encourages intimidation: 1. Managers are remote from employees 2. The intimidator is part of management “club” 3. Management seems to deal with the intimidator/s 4. Intimidation is rewarded 5. Effort to appease a workplace intimidator Intimidating and manipulative behavior by management and (higher ranking workers) is the norm rather than the exception. Dysfunctional relationships among employees is the norm. Gossip and criticism are the standard, where cliques lead to favoritism and feuding. Hiring is done by a network of cronyism and nepotism. There are no clear objectives in many functions, so it can be tough to determine what’s important and what isn’t Incompetent or or powerless human resource department: Human resource (“HR”) managers are either unable or unwilling to deal with rampant workplace intimidation, rule violations, or poor hiring practices.

Advice to Management

Fire half of the middle/upper management, make opportunities for employees to grow (not just friends/family of the managers or other employees), take a HONEST assessment of HR procedures.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It was great experience. I've learned a lot.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, nice working environment. Everybody has been so helpful, and the teachers and classes were set well. I like the lab rotation in the first year, which helps me decide which lab I'd like to pursue for my degree.

Cons

The class list is limited - not diversified. Many state-of-art technologies are not offered in class. Students are kinda separate from job market. Not many opportunities for students to gain experience before graduation, thus it was difficult for them to find a good job. Also, the academic communication between Wayne State and other schools are not active.

Advice to Management

Help students get more opportunities to find jobs.

2. awesome

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pretty good work culture and excellent opportunities

Cons

compensation package doesn't match with industrial average