Generous to new scholars

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State

Pros

I received a generous salary and teaching load (1-1 for the first two years, 2-1 for the next three) offer and have had consistent summertime employment, if desired. My colleagues are genuinely good people to work with, and I feel part of my college's research community. Wide variety of affordable housing options both in the city and in the suburbs, depending on what you're looking for. Lots of "after school" and weekend activities in the metro Detroit area. Eight months of the year have relatively pleasant weather.

Cons

Detroit continues to experience challenges stemming from the economic crisis. My house has lost value since I purchased it. Winter can be bleak, especially if you come from sunnier southern climes.

Advice to Management

Continue making the university an attractive place for new faculty by providing incentives for us to come (the incentives do not have to be financial alone--may relate to teaching load, benefits package, etc.).

reviews filtered by
  1. Being a Resident Advisor at Wayne State

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Wayne State

Pros

There is a great family environment here at Wayne State. You always feel secure in knowing that the people you work with are there when you need them.

Cons

You are always under a microscope. This is not a personal problem for me. However, people complain about this aspect of my job.

Advice to Management

I feel that the leadership here at Wayne State does an excellent job of informing their employees of activities and changes in the agenda. I always have a clear sense of what's going on.

2. Mnagement needs diversity training

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Wayne State

Pros

The diversity and exposure to the ever changing workforce. Students come from all four corners of the world but have chosen Wayne state as their place for opportunity and growth. It's a great shool and you have the opportunity to continue your education.

Cons

With the diversness within the school itself, you still find a bit of racism-even after having an African American President. Some of the old gaurd that's there need to give it up and retire. While many in academia represent the various cultures, it's not always so within management. Unfortunatley, in my school, it's people seem to think it's acceptable to express them selves. That makes for a depressing environment.

Advice to Management

The world is changing, please adapt.