Weather Channel

www.weather.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel

Good Company, but obviously some reviewers think otherwise

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting change from a simple media company to a high tech data company.

Cons

Morale is low. Communication from top down is lacking.

Senior management... Stop bickering among yourselves. There are some extremely talented employees, including most of the newer ones, but there is a detrimental territorialism that makes it difficult to coordinate among groups. The CEO is leading the Company in the right direction, but there is a profound lack of communication resulting in many employees feeling isolated and unappreciated. His team is talented, but not equally so. The head of advertising is whip smart, but aloof. The head of TV is impaired in some way. The head of HR is, in a word, crazy. The open floor plan referenced in a number of postings is silliness adorned as cleverness and cutting edge. This is Atlanta, folks, not Silicon Valley, and people kind of like their personal space even if it's just the walls of a cubicle standing between them and their neighbor.

148 Other Employee Reviews for Weather Channel (View Most Recent)

The Forecast: 100% Dreadful

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are a bit above average.....with a catch (see "Cons" section).
    Free sugary soft drinks.

Cons

Quite honestly and without exaggeration, hands down the worst place I have worked in my entire career that spans decades in media companies.
    As other reviewers have pointed out, the upper management is beyond awful and are pretty much incompetent at their jobs as 'leaders'. The ones that I work under are rude have no comprehension of the concept that by treating their subordinates poorly, you will get poor productivity and turn employees bitter. Everyone around me is bitter, some have been for years and I don’t blame them. I myself have been physically stressed out due to this job and that has not been the case anywhere else I have worked at in the past. Work/life balance? Nope. That is the “hidden fees” of the bit above average salary in the Pros section above.
    Everyone that I work with talks on a daily basis about their fears of being fired and the threat is real. That is no way to come into work on a daily basis. The scary part is that this is the case in most departments throughout the company, not just mine.
    So many reorganizations that processes and people change on a weekly basis and things are flat out not communicated to employees leading to: confusion until the next reorganization, which comes with more turnover by employees either being fired or laid off, then new employees that have to learn new processes from other new employees who really don’t know what they are doing or how to train them properly. Repeat cycle. It is reinventing the wheel over and over and over again with worse results. Not sure how that is possible, but it is.
    I am leaving this company very soon as are other mid level co-workers that see right through the façade and will do the same.
    My best advice is to not work here. Seriously. The household name might look nice, but there are a ton of ugly layers within this rotten onion. Look at the majority of the reviews here and decide for yourself. Not even as a first job unless you want to see how a company should not be run.

Stop trying to be such a collective group of big bad schoolyard bullies. You (upper management) are the problem. Stop acting so arrogant and throwing your weight around. Do us all a favor and grow yourself some professional manners and stop the internal bickering and start repairing the cracked trust of your dedicated employees that have stuck by you through these turbulent times. You have a lot of very talented people that work for you. Respect and treat them the way you would like to be treated. I highly doubt they would even care to heed the advice let alone act on it.
    If I were a media conglomerate that was thinking about buying TWC, my first step would be to clean house and get rid of all high level management and replace them with smart professionals that take pride in their workers and the jobs they do, unlike the present time.

If I could give 0 stars I would.

I worked at Weather Channel full-time

Pros

Salary is not bad for Atlanta, but I wouldn't go back even if they paid me double.

Cons

The Leadership in many organizations – Product, Client Solutions and HR have little to no direction & showed 0 respect for their subordinates.

While working at TWC my health went downhill as well. I had to get on medication temporarily for things going off balance due to stress. This was due to the negativity, bad treatment, dark atmosphere, meaningless meetings, lack of fulfillment, uninspiring leaders and abusive behavior. Ironically, the stress wasn't because I was doing exciting challenging work. My co-workers on my team also expressed the same feelings and more than half left within one year.

I work at a different company now and realized how bad TWC was. I make more money, i'm treated with respect and work on cutting edge technology. I advise prospective candidates to look elsewhere and not fall for the sales pitch they give you at the interview. My gut said not to accept the role but did because of the pay. They do the sales pitch, because they have a hard time recruiting good talent and retaining it. These reviews do not lie. I would read each one.

By far the worst company I worked for so far.

There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel