There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel

Once an ok place to work, now totally dysfunctional and unpleasant.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand to have on your resume.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. I was with TWC for about 5 years. It was once a pretty exciting and pleasant place to work. Over the last year, the company has become extremely dysfunctional and a really sad place to work. As it was noted in other reviews, there have been several shake ups in executive leadership over the past 3 years. This current executive team looks like they are here to stay. While I have no doubt they will bring in the big bucks for TWC, the company is completely using and abusing their employees to get there. All employees on the digital side of the business are extremely overworked and are not given the resources they need to become successful and develop their careers. If you want to work here, get used to staying late into the night and coming in often on the weekends. I tried to express the needs of my team to upper management many times over the last year and nothing helped. If you want to take time off to recharge your batteries, get ready to fight with management to get time off. And if you are lucky enough to get more than a day or two off, be ready to get calls & texts all day from your co-workers that are equally as swamped and exhausted. It seemed every other week there were company wide e-mails announcing the hire of new VP's and leadership positions that came from the David Kenny corporate tree. However, if your team needs that extra head or two for the year to provide much needed help, don't place any bets on it. This is not an occurrence that happened in one department, but across all departments on the digital side. I often worked with other departments that were understaffed, and any sort of staffing relief came from temps or contractors who had little clue what they were doing. And then once their contracts were up, there was no effort to get these people back, dumping even more work on others. HR likes to play the "career development" card, but very rarely did I ever see this occurring. Promotions were rarely seen, and any effort by an employee to learn something about the business and help expand their skill set was basically ignored. Many employees, including myself, were extremely enthusiastic and wanted to learn many other aspects of the business, but no one was there to help facilitate this. Communication is extremely poor between departments. If you have a task or project you need interdepartmental help with… good luck trying to figure out who is in charge. Even if you find the person in charge of, get ready for work that is apathetic and often times down right rude. I can't blame these employees though. They were dealing with the same issues as all of us. The sales team calls all the shots as well and are never held accountable for their actions. They are often putting their co-workers in extremely difficult situations that are set up for failure. This sheds horrible light on other hard working individuals without any accountability from the sales rep who made the sale. Pay is very underwhelming for all the work that is being put in. After I had enough of this environment, I was presented a very promising opportunity with significantly better pay at a different company. Once I let management know this and put my notice in, I was treated as though I had committed some atrocity. Counterparts and my direct manager were extremely happy for me… Upper management made sure to make me feel guilty. It was very contradictory considering all the people the company had laid off over the past 3 years. I expect to see high turnover at this company in the coming months. I am not optimistic about the direction of this company.

Your employees are overworked and under appreciated. You have SUCH smart and bright people working for you. However, the environment has become toxic and people are not happy. Your employees are your back bone and must be listened to and given the resources they need to succeed.

131 Other Employee Reviews for Weather Channel (View Most Recent)

Houston, we have a problem!!!

I have been working at Weather Channel full-time

Pros

The brand name I the salaries are decent

Cons

Oh, God ... there isn't that much space to list the amount of dysfunction happening behind the revolving doors of TWC!!! I have been at TWC for 10 years. The work environment plummeted after NBC Bain Capital and Blackstone took over. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that the Emancipation Proclamation has been resended. The lack of people of color in upper management is disheartening. Managers are downright rude, uncaring and hell-bent on causing as much emotional pain as possible. David Kenny and his lackies are the worse kind of leaders (andI use that term loosely).

Going to HR is a waste of time ... they're all about the company. I am definitely looking to leave.

A revamping from the top down. You should spend more time speaking with employees regarding their concerns and less about the bottom line.

Was a good company, till David Kenny brought in his goons

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Weather Channel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company experience to take with you to many other digital jobs. On the edge of digital technology. Great systems to work with.

Cons

Top heavy organization. No employee culture, low morale. Sales leads decisions no matter the cost of the other employees.

Actually take time and listen to what the people that actually run the company have to say, not what sales actually wants. Also, the new homepage looks terrible.

There are newer employer reviews for Weather Channel