There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Most stressful job of my career. Walk away from the idea of working at WebMD now. Questionable practices!!

Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY
Former Employee - Advertising Sales in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time

Pros

Great brand name, little competition to which they use to thier advantage, and follows strict guidelines for following medical/health related advertising. Great company parties.

Cons

Overpriced ad product, not customer cerntric, favoritism of certain staff, strong arm tactics with clients, and most of all so stuck on politics and company protocol that it was simply not an efficient business. Lots of internal power struggles and often felt like people would step all over eachother to maintain turf. In my experience, VERY questionable personal tactics by HR and Senior Managers to get you out the door, questionable review process, etc. I often felt the sense of favoritism and burn and churn on the employees. Pushing employees to push clients into areas that weren't always in thier best interest. I simply would not reccomend this company to anyone thinking about making a move there. My peers were great, but management was terrible. You had to be very sneaky, kiss up, bypass rules to survive here. I personally wish I had done my homework more carefully before accepting the position I did. What you have heard about the internal workings here are accurate. Caveat Emptor.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, do better job of tranining people and put the right managers in place for thier respective jobs.

Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health

Not a destination if you want to actually advance your career

Current Employee - WebMD Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - WebMD Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, no one is in a rush to get anything done or ever make a decision so the hours are very manageable. Returning a colleague email within 48-36 hours is acceptable and common practice.

Cons

This company is full of incompetent leaders who are more interested in managing their personal portfolios than growing the business. The products are way behind the current industry, there is no innovation, bright people spend hours wasting their time trying to develop good ideas, only to have them shot down by senior leaders so the entire business is either paralyzed or stagnant. The investor spin on why the business is declining (e.g. due to patent cliffs) is a ridiculous excuse for lack of leadership, lack of vision, lack of innovation, and general incompetence throughout the ranks of the company. The new CEO appears more concerned in meetings to want to have the last word on every idea, rather than empowering smart leaders to develop and pursue good ideas for the business. I question his ability to turn the company around when his primary goal is to own everything.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO who knows how to recognize and leverage talent. Set a vision for growth, communicate the plan for growth, stop tolerating mediocre employees, transform the way decisions are made and empower middle managers, instigate timesheets across the board so you can begin to see who is working on what, and implement a more transparent process around bonuses and promotions.

Most stressful work environment I have ever been in

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Portland, OR

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people who are incredibly talented and passionate about their work. Beautiful office, free coffee, expresso machines and healthy snacks.

Cons

Horribly managed, no clue to business strategy or how to run a business, nor do they even care. Very unstable for longevity, hiring or anyone's career regardless of what is sold to people. Proof is in the financials and the stock, as well as the layoffs that are happening across the board. Dog eat dog work groups... one will stab you in the back for their next promotion or just kudos.

Advice to Management

Instead of laying off the actual people doing work, get rid of the toxic heavy weight and liability senior management. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. All the great talent is being heavily recruited to other places, leaving you with the bottom of the barrel for a reason.