It was good....for awhile

Former Employee - Former Medscape Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Former Medscape Employee in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are talented people there, people who will appreciate you and try and mentor you even across divisions and teams. People complain about the benefits and pay but they were good for me and I even had a few that weren't offered by other companies. I did have some good managers and at times I felt I was able to contribute some things of value and worth. I was appreciated by a few teams. The company has a rich history and I did gain a lot of skills from my jack-of-all-trades duties. It was good for a long time I was there. And actually much to people's chagrin, the Medscape business model was pretty successful for a long time and probably was has kept WEBMD afloat in hard times.

Cons

I did feel underappreciated at times. Was sometimes demeaned. On certain teams there was the sense of "watch your back" and politic (aka suck up) or suffer the consequences. Those that did were promoted (even if they were dead weight slackers) those that didn't were reassigned or let go entirely. The lay offs were not handled well- suddenly people were there and then they weren't and no communication just orders to pick up the slack. The workloads were insane on some teams 1-2 people doing the work of 3-4 on another with equivalent workloads. There was no work-life balance in the past few years I worked there. Common to work through vacations and holidays. No advancement and sometimes contractors were paid more for work employees were doing or used as an excuse to justify not promoting people (no positions). My managers were mostly fair, but some were terrible. Low morale and people who tried to increase it or call attention to problems were ignored or targeted. Review system a joke - like winning the lottery every few years. It wasn't always like this, it was a good work place for awhile, which also upset people. We weren't opposed to change and growth as long as it meant we weren't devalued - but we were.

Advice to Management

I hope there are some of you that still do care and will read the writing on the wall. Plus value the talent you do have left - the pool is shrinking. You let go or forced out people who would have stayed much longer willingly if they had been treated better. The company wasn't always this vulturistic. Maybe you should start looking at sale offers again. Staying public isn't always a prudent move if you still want to have a job to go to.

Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health

Great people, not-so-great management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are very good, taking crazy, half-baked ideas and creating reasonable products or services out of them.

Cons

Management had no long-term plans, always wanting to do the short-term fix with duct tape and baling wire, so they could meet Wall Street's expectations for the quarter.

Advice to Management

Look long and hard at the business, develop short- and long-term plans, and treat staff with respect.

2. Good experience; need to focus on innovation in the future.

Former Employee - Strategic Accounts in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Accounts in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Valuable exposure to how an established digital publisher operates. Great people, solid work-life balance, and pretty good corporate culture.

Cons

Too much pressure to hit revenue targets rather than focusing on new products and creative solutions to keep the organization ahead of the curve in the long run.