WebMD Health

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOffice are nice
Salary is competitive
Strong workforce

ConsHow does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail?

As a former employee, let me explain how:

Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense.

I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple.

For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

Growing and evolving into something good

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros: Great people, smart, fast paced, never a dull moment Cons: Still not totally mature but getting there Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

good

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: good people, steady work, always changing which keeps me interested. Cons: moral and compensation could be better Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on WebMD Health.

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!