There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Nepotism = No Trust

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office are nice
Salary is competitive
Strong workforce

Cons

How does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail?

As a former employee, let me explain how:

Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense.

I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple.

For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Take a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

188 Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health (View Most Recent)

Growing and evolving into something good

I have been working at WebMD Health

Pros

Great people, smart, fast paced, never a dull moment

Cons

Still not totally mature but getting there

Can't complain when you're just grateful to have a job; Great team members to work with; Great NYC location

Former Employee - Computer Programmer (SQL Programmer/Data Analyst)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer (SQL Programmer/Data Analyst) in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Part of a SMART highly specialized team; Team members worked toward a common goal and put in their hours; Direct managers (laid off as of this writing in 2013) were reasonable to work with; HQ is located in the awesome Chelsea neighborhood; Can't complain with the total compensation (including yearly bonus) especially during the good years (prior to 2012); 10 company holidays (including Friday after Thanksgiving); Early dismissal on Fridays prior to long holiday weekends. Enjoyed the good years prior to 2012.

Cons

Team was expected to put in extra hours (late or weekend) beyond the typical 9-5 schedule especially during deployment; No comp days or overtime salary paid if and when you put in more than 45 hours/week; No summer Fridays (as of writing in 2013); Part of a smart highly specialized team that was embroiled in politics; Higher-ups didn't realize the high performance value the team I was part of to the company; Previous CEO didn't have a plan to make the company sustainable beyond 2012 and took the golden parachute. Challenging years ahead in 2013.

Take a pay cut yourselves and give your share (better yet, ALL) of your bonuses to the employees left behind in 2013.

There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Worked for WebMD Health? Contribute to the Community!