There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

More changes needed, current status not sustainable

Pros

On the right track, made some right decisions and has good intentions

Cons

More needs to be done for middle and upper middle management. C-level executives/SVPs are indeed trying to get company on track and groth path, but the next level still works on nepotism and political gains rather than objectives. Unfortunatelyt thye were the decision makers for the last actionable step towards growth path, so they were not impacted at all.

Advice to Management

Find out ways to identify and weed out nepotism.

Other Employee Reviews for WebMD Health

Nepotism = No Trust

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office are nice Salary is competitive Strong workforce

Cons

How does the leading health information provider that sells space to the richest companies in the world still manage to fail? As a former employee, let me explain how: Nepotism. If you're considering WebMD and want my advice, my first answer would be a question "are you friends with any current director or VP?" If the answer is "no" I would simply keep looking. That one factor is the single biggest variable in your likelihood of success at WebMD. If you're not a friend, all your great ideas and energy will be seen as a threat. I've seen it over and over during my 3 year stint with the company. The Atlanta office is basically run like a government agency, the only difference are that the hours are longer and the work is more intense. I read a Glassdoor review from a WebMD HR person and they nailed it. If you're a high achiever, and you're not someone's longtime friend, you'll be perceived as a threat. Forget about transparency on growth and development because there is none. If you work hard, you may get a an official email saying thanks, and sadly some sideways stares from your supervisor. Work hard enough, just not TOO hard. Ask to grow, but don't seem ambitious. Yes, it's very complicated, but the downward trajectory of the company is very simple. For all those hoping that having a "great brand on my resume" will make up for this malaise, you should probably also consider the opportunity cost to your career as you stagnate for years working so hard to receive so little in return, with no promise of a brighter future.

Advice to Management

Take a chance and hire someone who's not your buddy. Get out of your comfort zone. This is a publicly traded company. Start acting like it.

Good company, Tough times

Former Employee - Group Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Group Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at WebMD Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product for end-users is very good -- both consumers and medical professionals. Most people are good, as are many in management.

Cons

The growth has flattened and the ad products are no longer as competitive as they had been -- especially an issue on the consumer side. Sales-driven culture with the pros/cons that come along with that. Restructuring now -- hopefully things are bottoming out.