There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health

Professionalism

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at WebMD Health as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

WebMD is staffed by a team of intelligent professionals, each experts in their respective fields. Most people had good attitudes.

Cons

Upper management frequently would make last minute changes that had a negative cascading effect on our integrated teams.

reviews filtered by

Solid place to work (Medscape)

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many talented/friendly people working here. Very loose dress code. Management pretty much all leave at 5 on the dot. No one really looking over your shoulder as long as you get your work done. How you break up your time is very flexible. There's a Ballys across the courtyard for lunchtime workouts. Lots of reasonably priced food in the area. Company parties are pretty good when they do happen. Free lunch during lunch time meetings. Free bagel fridays.

Cons

Agile is the buzzword and its mostly used by project leaders and "big-idea" people to think things through half-assed which results in huge amounts of development time being wasted. The idea of "I'll know what I want when I see it" that clueless clients have unfortunately extend to project managers and ux leaders that really should have saw issues in wireframe/design stages when it could have been quickly resolved.
    Meetings are often pointless and a waste of time unfortunately it seems that some people's only existence at the company are to perpetuate them for some feeling of purpose. Management are "lifers" and their priority is to hold on to their job and keep things easy for them, technology-wise the company is very far behind.

Advice to Management

Let people do what they are great at. If you are not a big picture guy, or a designer, or a ux guy, or a developer, stop using your weight to control things and instead leave that stuff for the people who currently do that for a living. Honestly, your place really is just making sure we're happy so we do what we do best.

Working my Tail Off

I have been working at WebMD Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really sharp, smart people to work with, and overall I'd say many people are happy to work for the company

Cons

Tremendous working hours, most departments feel short staffed and overworked. The potential for burn out is high. It can feel a lot like individuals are working for the 'idea of the day' and that upper management can suffer from Shiney Toy Syndrome much too often.

Advice to Management

Listen to people's ideas, be sensitive to workload, and take the time to celebrate those who are really working hard for you.

There are newer employer reviews for WebMD Health