There are newer employer reviews for Weber Shandwick

Weber Shandwick; typical agency bureaucracy, border-line inhumane treatment of junior staff

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY
Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, overtime compensation for entry level working overtime (12-14 hr days on average). I adored my other junior level colleagues we really banded together while being "hazed." I'm usually a super outgoing, positive, hard working and reliable person, but the demands of this role made me completely overwhelmed, physically ill and exhausted 24/7. I went on to a smaller fashion-based showroom and its a 100% more positive.

Cons

My group and client and managers were known well within the department as being the most difficult and unreasonable. I had terrible middle managers; no guidance, no positive feedback; worked myself ino the ground and burnt out. 2-3 of my former junior colleagues which I adored went to competitors for better work/life balance and compensation. Executive management realized treatment and hierarchy structure was not working and morale was terrible around the time everyone was leaving and enforced in memorandum that junior level employees had to be treated basically like humans (shocker!) ie: nonexcessive overtime, positive communication and delegation, allowing junior level people out for lunch at least once a week (?! is this a work camp/salt mine?) The new president quit after 4 months to go to a competitor (sinking like the Titanic, much?)

Fire middle management and get positive people in there who don't just look good for clients but mentor and grow junior staff as well.

184 Other Employee Reviews for Weber Shandwick (View Most Recent)

Overall, a very good experience

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Definitely a great place to have on your resume when starting your career. Either a great place to give you a taste of the PR industry or a great place to wrap up your internship career before getting that first salaried job. Many great clients and teams that can make an intern feel like an AAE as opposed to a replaceable intern. You definitely receive a taste of what a full-time position in this industry would be like.

Cons

Some of the strongest cliques that you can find in a professional environment, very similar to high school.

Compensate interns more and dissolve the agency's cliquey nature.

Best PR employer in Seattle; need to change internship program and hierarchy

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Felt like I was getting paid to learn about PR 40 hours a week from the best in the business
    Agency embraces integrating social media and traditional PR more than any other firm I know
    Tasks were assigned to the correct job levels
    Options but no requirements to get involved in nonbillable work such as business development and the office blog
    Great clients - really understood PR and treated the agency well
    Average-to-low staff and client turnover
    Management comes up with creative, fun ways to boost employee morale
    Better agency-wide work/life balance than Edelman or Waggener Edstrom

Cons

Management creates an environment that's more hierarchical than competitors' and devalues employees below account executive level (only offering recruiting bonuses for AE and above, for example).
    Management purposefully cycles interns in and out while lying about the likelihood interns will get AAE job offers.
    Edelman Seattle trains its interns better and Waggener Edstrom hires more interns on as permanent employees.

Stop creating intentional hierarchy and treating your interns like 3-month AAEs you shouldn't train. Seattle's PR community is very tight-knit, and you are losing some great employees to other agencies in town as word gets out about your hierarchy and you fail to hire strong interns as AAEs.

There are newer employer reviews for Weber Shandwick