Websense

www.websense.com
  www.websense.com
There are newer employer reviews for Websense

plenty of potential, realization questionable...

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Websens has great technology, it has a tried and stable financial model, it has a relevant market focus with budgeted dollars from customers

Cons

The ability to execute has been erratic, there are sparks of brilliance, but the entire company does not seem to be aligned and driving in concert. The culture is in a state of flux, with no clear long term anchor.

182 Other Employee Reviews for Websense (View Most Recent)

Happiness depends on which department you work in...

Current Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Talented people - most are great to work with. I happen to be fortunate and work on a good team with a good manager. Lots of challenging work - I've never been bored in the years I have been here.

Cons

There is no guiding philosophy of treating/cultivating the workforce at Websense, so your experience completely depends on which team you work on or manager you have. Management seems to place such high merit in folks who give up their personal lives including time with their families for the greater good of the company. That just makes me sad. Once in a while when the need is there, step up...no problem. But that should not be the regular pace.

Encourage top down to value employees - it not only inspires and motivates, but it also serves to retain company knowledge versus watch them walk out the door. Protect the work/life balance and we will be more grateful and loyal.

Very fast pace, if that is what you want in a job.

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits! 3 weeks of vacation. Potential for over time and on call shifts if you are willing to do so.

Cons

Everything is about metrics, if you do not hit them you get emailed and talked to. You are expected to handle more than is humanly possible then get yelled at for not being able to keep up. This is why I left as the expectations are too high. Significant raises are only given to people who make unrealistic numbers. 1 case(call) is not always equal to another. That being said raises based on metrics that do not really measure productivity. Also hard to get promoted.

Hire more people faster than people leaving. It takes 6 months to get someone up to speed, not 4 weeks after training. Also hire more people before it starts hurting when 2 people are out sick and no one able to take vacation. Pay people more to stay, its easy to find another job with the same pay with more of a work/life balance and less stress.

There are newer employer reviews for Websense