Websense

www.websense.com
There are newer employer reviews for Websense

Enjoy coming to work - challenging, rewarding and great balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working in Websense Labs for the past 4 years. The Labs is fairly isolated from the rest of the company so I can't comment much about what happens outside of Labs. Looking at some of the reviews - it seems that some departments have issues. However, that is not the case in Labs.

We use a wide array of modern technologies and have the independence to make vital technical decisions. The work is interesting, typically large scale and has a great impact on the company. I've done work spanning from mobile security on iPhone/Android to a Web Service API that receives ~2 billion requests per day.

Another benefit is the Work/Life balance. The work with Labs allows me to leave at normal expected times, like you expect at most Enterprises. However Labs is small enough to have a startup feel - with plenty of games for breaks (pool, pong, foosball)

The biggest pro would be the product suite that Labs is responsible for. We regularly communicate with large customers and work with them to produce some of the best security technology available. If you want to work on stuff that matters and with extremely high data requirements you will be happy!

Another nice perk is the travel. We have offices near London and in Beijing both great places to travel to.

Cons

I could be making more elsewhere (I hear this is being fixed.. we will see)
C level team seem to floundering and have trouble communicating vision

We all understand sales is a major component. But that is really for you and the Sales group to talk indepth about. Broaden your quarterly takes and address vision and the future

193 Other Employee Reviews for Websense (View Most Recent)

As good as most places...

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

Very secure employment. Solid engineering.

Cons

Salaries are low. Workload and pressure are too high.

Hire more people. You can't keep putting more work on fewer people. Reduce the amount of work going on in Beijing and hire Americans.

Dysfunctional leadership and negative culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time

Pros

You will have a wide range of responsibilities in your role and have the ability to learn whatever you want, if you have the drive and ambition.

You'll work with bright, intelligent people.

Good benefits. Great health/dental insurance, vacation package.

Cons

People are overworked. Teams are hiring in abroad offices but not locally. Everyone at the company is stretched thin and there aren't enough resources to build features the right way. Almost every project I've worked on has been forced to readjust schedule in a big way due to lack of planning and foresight.

Incredibly negative politics. Managers are more interested in carving out their own power bases than building good product. People are afraid to share their opinions to executive management. There is a chronic lack of appreciation for the incredible amount of work done by people. There is a distinct negative relationship between organizational groups and between different offices.

Compensation is not competitive over time. Small raises, no bonuses, rare promotions all designed to keep costs down.

Hire more people in engineering. We are completely overworked, underpaid, are given little attention and have middle management who care more about protecting themselves than product. Pay more attention to project state and help lift some weight off our shoulders. Also, stop flaunting the benefits and investment done in Sales, you make everyone else in the company feel horrible from what we get compared to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Websense