Good company and products but not the best pay

Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive
Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive

I worked at Websense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team work and the people who work there are nice to work with - team oriented.

Cons

Sales Goals are hard to achieve and they make it more and more difficult every year. Not a lot of flexibility with your work schedule. Very rigid hours you need to be in the office.

Be more flexible and also ensure quotas are obtainable & give opportunities to make more money from your achievements.

Other Reviews for Websense

The labs are awesome!

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Even though Websense is a large corporation, the labs still feel like a startup. We always are working on new projects. These projects are not just what the top-brass want us to do, they are also ideas that we have. Many of these projects become customer facing.

I personally feel that I have been able to make a lasting positive (hopefully) impact on the company.

We get to work directly with the researchers on projects which is fun as well.

Cons

Websense is an enterprise company not a consumer company so sometimes it feels out of sync.

They have been around for a while, so some of the code base is old and annoying. (But we do get opportunities to fix it :D )

There is a lack of standards (coding, architecture, protocols, etc) which makes developing frustrating.

We need a clearer vision.

Enjoy coming to work - challenging, rewarding and great balance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Websense full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been working in Websense Labs for the past 4 years. The Labs is fairly isolated from the rest of the company so I can't comment much about what happens outside of Labs. Looking at some of the reviews - it seems that some departments have issues. However, that is not the case in Labs.

We use a wide array of modern technologies and have the independence to make vital technical decisions. The work is interesting, typically large scale and has a great impact on the company. I've done work spanning from mobile security on iPhone/Android to a Web Service API that receives ~2 billion requests per day.

Another benefit is the Work/Life balance. The work with Labs allows me to leave at normal expected times, like you expect at most Enterprises. However Labs is small enough to have a startup feel - with plenty of games for breaks (pool, pong, foosball)

The biggest pro would be the product suite that Labs is responsible for. We regularly communicate with large customers and work with them to produce some of the best security technology available. If you want to work on stuff that matters and with extremely high data requirements you will be happy!

Another nice perk is the travel. We have offices near London and in Beijing both great places to travel to.

Cons

I could be making more elsewhere (I hear this is being fixed.. we will see)
    C level team seem to floundering and have trouble communicating vision

We all understand sales is a major component. But that is really for you and the Sales group to talk indepth about. Broaden your quarterly takes and address vision and the future

There are newer employer reviews for Websense.

Worked for Websense? Contribute to the Community!