There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

Not the company that they portray themselves as.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Downingtown, PA
Current Employee - Customer Service in Downingtown, PA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers are genuinely great people that are funny, intelligent, and nice. Because of this, most people are in a good mood at work and make the work day pleasant. This rubs off on most of the customers, who seem happy to be shopping at Wegmans. If you are full-time, it's a pretty good job with good benefits.

Cons

Being part-time is pretty terrible. They give priority to full-timers, especially those that have been there a long time. Also, the longer you have been there (some employees have been there since the store opened), it seems as if the more you can get away with (taking excessive breaks, taking long breaks, meandering around the store while talking to people in other departments, putting off work, etc.). There are definite cliques within the store that help to contribute to this laziness and rule-breaking. Some managers work hard, but most just stand around, drinking coffee and talking to each other. When higher-ups managers from other stores or corporate come to visit for one reason or another, they're very good at looking busy. The company likes to say that they have an open-door policy when it comes to going to your manager with questions, concerns, and comments, but often times, your manager acts as if you're annoying or bothering them. The company also portrays itself as a good company for upward movement, saying you can work your way up through the company. Based on my experience and what I've heard from coworkers, it's near impossible, especially if someone above you dislikes you for any reason. The company has made some recent changes to the healthcare program that seem to be negatively affecting a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Try to enact and hold to the values that you claim to be about.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Best part time job you could ever have during college

Former Employee - Customer Service Produce in Penfield, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Produce in Penfield, NY

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wegmans is a great company to work for, especially as a college student. They offer a scholarship of $1500 a year for college students and holds your job during the summer months. Whenever I needed hours I would call them a week in advance and would be put on the schedule for the following week. Never had to look for a summer job.

Cons

Dealing with customers can be a hassle...but that's more the nature of the business and not the fault of the company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

2. There is nothing better than an employer that is willing to work around you schedule

Current Employee - Cashier in Gates, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Gates, NY

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work around school -Understand when conflicts arise -Friendly environment

Cons

-Customers can be a pain -Working a outside in Rochester, NY weather

Advice to Management

I sometimes feel like the employees and store managers don't always see eye-to-eye in how things should be done. However, when they ask for input, it sometimes falls on deaf ears. Although this is rare, asking for direct input usually means that our opinion is valued. When I see our ideas ignored, it is aggravating.