Wegmans Food Markets

www.wegmans.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

Great place, management needs work

Current Employee - Customer Service in Bridgewater, NJ
Current Employee - Customer Service in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Seemingly family-oriented. Comfortable place to work, with guaranteed raises and flexibility.

Cons

I don't know how some of these management employees get the job. Sometimes it seems the job goes to who can kiss up the most.

Actually do what you're required to do, and you should be MORE knowledgeable than your subordinates.

563 Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans Food Markets (View Most Recent)

Not What I Expected

Former Employee - Overnight Grocery in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Overnight Grocery in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and flexible schedule. Working overnights without customers in the store.

Cons

Terrible Management. Said what you wanted to hear to get you out the door as quickly as possible. No follow through from management or HR. I asked several times who my direct supervisor was and no one could give me an answer. No headphones for overnight workers because it was a safety hazard. Unless you have Wegman's experience you won't be moved up in the company, no matter how much outside experience you bring to the table. I was looking to possibly go from part time to full time but ended up quitting after six months. Very disappointing.

Actually follow through on what you tell your employees you will do. Actually care about your employees instead of only caring about what your store looks like when Danny Wegman or the district manager comes to visit.

Nice people, Horrible middle management, DON"T BE A CASHIER!

Former Employee - Cashier in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

People working here are generally nice and upbeat people who are easy to get along with. Management is approachable, but usually not helpful.

Not a Union, no union dues

Lots of people say the pay, but I started out just above minimum wage and got a 25 cent raise every 6 months if approved by management. in know means bad pay, but should definitely have better starting salary and raises then low level jobs at stores like ACME and Genuardi's, who bring in a lot less revenue

Cons

Wegmans gives off that lovey dovey, "we're family" and "everyone's equal and given opportunities." However, once you work there, you realize that's not the case.
    Very sporadic schedule, would work 25 hours one week, then be scheduled for 4.5 the next week, then maybe 20 the next week, always different days too, no sense of when you will work. (I'm a high school student and one week my schedule was Thursday 4-9, Friday 4-9 30, Saturday 6AM-1PM, Sunday 5 30 AM-1 30PM)
    Breaks are awful, you get ONE 10 MINUTE break unless you work more than 5.5 hours, in which you get a 30 minute lunch. Not to mention the most common shift for part timers was 5.5hours.
    Absolutely no discounts whatsoever. I realize that the company doesn't HAVE to give discounts, but cmon seriously? Most stores give some discount, (Lots that serve food include a free lunch), we work our butts off because the store is always busy, and things like the prepared foods are such high profit margin (eg 8.99 per pound for hot Lo mein noodles, $3.29+tax for 1 slice of pizza) that giving some sort of discount would be nice considering that the company wouldn't really be losing money, maybe just make 4x profit margin on employees rather than the 5 or 6x on customers.

MANAGEMENT AND FAVORITISM
    This part of the cons needs its own section. Wegmans paints themselves as a company that has "equal opportunity and treatment for everyone." This is NOT the case. I like that Wegmans employees arent unionized, thus not promoted through just experience. However, I think it's awful that people who work hard for years at the company see no sort of promotion while some half-ass worker whose a kid gets promoted to coordinator within a year because they're part of the "clique" scene of middle management (yes this specifically happened at the store I worked for). In addition, management favors certain employees in almost all aspects. During a 10 minute break (often the only one you get after standing for 3 hours) some cashiers will be scolded for coming back a minute or two over ten minutes while it seems others were free to walk around the store and do whatever they want for half an hour or more. I recall a specific event where the lines were all 3 people per line (that's the maximum) and the girl next to me just turns off her light and says, "I'm getting a drink" then doesn't return for about half an hour, leaving me and the other cashiers to deal with the overflow of customers. The discipline: Me and the other cashiers were told to "step it up" and "get the people going faster."
    There is a lot of management that oversees the front end (cash registers/accounting/carts) There are 2 Department Managers, 5 Team Leaders, and about 5 Coordinators. These people seem to do the least amount of work as anybody. They usually stand around the store talking and eating and drinking coffee. They really only have to tell us which registers to go to and answer when we page them to our register. Often times this can be a task in of itself to try to get someone to help you out when you page them. I would only page when there was a problem I knew that I could not do without managers codes, however lots of times when I would page, none of them would answer even if I saw them standing in a group laughing about something, in which I have to resort to shouting to one of them to come over, all the while the customer is giving me the death stare. I also find it odd that there are times when you page and literally NOBODY is to be found. NONE of the 10 people there in charge, often leaving you to dry with the angry customer. The only times you really see FE management doing anything, or more often pretending to, is when superiors are around.

-Upper Management including the store owner and those directly under him do a pretty good job, except they should allow some sort of discount to keep moral higher.
    To Front End Management:
    -value your employees more, the cashier job is non stop and although it's one of the lowest paying, its one of, if not THE hardest (I've done cashier, cart pushing, deli, and stocking).

-Stop muessing around and actually do your job. Is that too much to ask really? To walk 40 feet to ask you a question when I page?

-Stop getting on the case of cashiers who occasionally talk to eachother for a brief period between customers rather than "waving customers over to your line." Because that is all that you do.

-Stop treating everyone so different. If I take an 11-minute 10 only scold me for it if you're going to do the same for your favorites who take 30-minute 10s

There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets