Wegmans Food Markets

www.wegmans.com
There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets

Best grocery store chain in America.

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I spent 4 years working for the company. The work environment was friendly, and it offered opportunities for career advancement. Wegmans places an emphasis on customer service which makes it different from competitors. As my manager explained during my job interview, they don't just sell products: they sell their service.

Cons

Entry level positions such as cashier are all part time. With an abundance of employees, getting the maximum amount of hours allowed can be difficult at times.

Employees aren't robots. Customers aren't always right: even if you're supposed to pretend that they are!

532 Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans Food Markets (View Most Recent)

Good Company, Not a good job

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Managment is mostly nice
    Scheduling is sort of flexible (They get mad when you try to change it)
    Great Lunch
    GREAT COWORKERS

Cons

Managers play favorites with certain cashiers and require them to do almost absolutly nothing while the rest of the cashiers have long lines.
    Phsyically exhasuting
    emotionally exhausting
    CUSTOMERS ARE VERY RUDE

FIX THE TEAM LEADERS THEY CHOOSE CERTIAN CASHIERS AND HAVE THEM DO "RESHOPS" BUT ALL THEY DO IS TALK

Great to shop at; not so great to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Wegmans Food Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall they do provide decent benefits, but their main strength is in flexible scheduling for their employees. Some managers are wonderful to work with and truly believe in the core values of Wegmans, which is putting their employee's first and making sure customers always get incredible customer service.

I have amazing coworkers and they are what have kept me in the company so long.

Cons

For this company, it really matter which store you are located in and in what division/state. They are strong proponents of the "Who We Are Values" which are either lauded or completely forgone by management.

When I first started with this company eight years ago, there was a completely different culture. Management truly listened to their employees and followed through on their core values to promote teamwork and diversity. Nowadays, that is a thing of the past. Their emphasis on the "team" used to be a thing that made people want to work for them, but now if you don't conform to their thinking, you are considered a problem. You are also not considered a team player if you ask simple question of why. Don't ever ask why. All they want to see is a smile and nod.

I have seen rampant abuses of favoritism in my store and if you are not "in" with upper management, you will have no hope to grow within the company. Instead they will lie to your face or completely ignore you. I will stress that this is not the same in every store, but everyone had seemed to turn a blind eye to it in mine, and continues to do so.

I am fortunate that I do not need to rely on this company for healthcare and other benefits, but I truly feel sorry for those people who do. In order to get healthcare as a part-time employee within the store you need to work an average of 30 hours a week (up from 24 last year). This would not be a problem except that the departments are being told to cut hours and don't have them available. Then they tell employees to look in other departments, except they have also cut their hours. So, how would you like part-time employees to gain those hours back? There is rarely anyway to fulfill your weekly average with the new WIG goals and employees are left wondering when coverage will be dropped for them.

You should look back to the value boards posted in your own stores and relearn what the company was once founded upon. You have amazing team members who are getting lost due to poor management and taking their talents elsewhere. There is a reason you dropped seven spaces on the Fortune Top 100 list and it's not just because of more competition as you tried to tell everyone.

There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans Food Markets