There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans

Insane Work Hour Changes and Impossible Work Loads

Current Employee - Full-Time Team Leader  in  Leesburg, VA
Current Employee - Full-Time Team Leader in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

-Competitive pay (compared to other retail stores)
-Great health benefits
-When the store opened I had a great manager...
-I'm always at the store so I never miss out on their great shopping deals. Employees don't get any discounts, but Wegman's is a great place to shop for the average joe.

Cons

-No vision plan, otherwise the health care is pretty good.

- Work Schedule.... My work schedule changes every week, and I never, ever, get 2 days off in a row. Weekends? Say goodbye to them. I work 40-50 hour weeks, sometimes going 12 days in a row without a day off in-between. My schedule also changes on a daily basis, some days I'm scheduled 4pm to midnight, the very next day I'm scheduled at 8:00am-4:30pm. I'm not sure when I'm expected to sleep with less than 8 hours between shifts, perhaps Team Leaders are supposed to be zombies?

- Management.... When the store first opened I had an amazing store manager. It was a pleasure to come to work everyday and I looked forward to learning how he ran things. He knew every employee by name, even the unimportant cart pushing guys. The store glowed. Unfortunately a new store is doing a grand-opening soon and so he has transferred. I now have a new store manager that is socially awkward and has NO IDEA what he is doing. All he cares about is sales, not about the people, but it makes sense because he has no idea how to actually talk to people. How he got the job? I have no clue, but he has been with the company for many years so perhaps it was just an automatic promotion (which is stupid). Since he took over morale has been down, and all of my peer Team Leaders have quit/moved into other positions. The morale is that Wegmans doesn't pick their managers based upon ability, but rather their browning points and "time served." It's a problem because you'll end up with managers like my current one running a department or the entire store.

-Work Load... I'm expected to do the jobs of 4 people. I'm expected to fulfill my duties as a Team Leader, but then I also have to fill in all of the holes on a customer service level. As it is now on a daily basis I am expected to be 1. Team Leader, 2. Coordinator, 3. Cashier, 4. Dept. Manager. As soon as I clock in I work NONSTOP until it ends, I literally am RUNNING from one end of the store to the other simply because I do not have enough time. HR refuses to hire more people and so I have to fill their places, but I'm stretched too thin.

-Unfair pay scales... Part-time employees are purposefully discriminated against when it comes to their paychecks. Someone doing the exact same position full-time will make roughly $2-$4 more per hour with higher maximum rate as well. It makes no sense that someone should receive less pay HOURLY just because they are part-time.

-Lower level Employees... Wegmans is WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too lenient about employees simply skipping work. When someone calls out I have to find a replacement, which is VERY difficult. The worst is the front end, cashiers call out or miss work ALL THE TIME. You can't go a day without at least 5 people calling in and saying they can't make it. This is a freaking job people! I come to work every single freaking day, I get a limited number of sick days and a limited number of vacation days. If I miss a day I get bitched out and written up. If a cashier misses a day he doesn't even get a slap on the wrist, it's just "okay."

I make somewhere between $14 and $18 an hour, and I'll tell you that it isn't enough for what I go through every day here.

1. Make hours static on a weekly basis, it would be so much easier to just hire people with set hours rather than make them insane like they are. It's hard to for me schedule people in the different time slots every week, and I can't handle the way I'm scheduled. When I'm looking for my hours next week it's like watching the weather channel. You don't know your hours until the day before the week starts, and they could be anything. At the minimum, let me work just mornings, or just nights, not both!

2. When people skip/miss work, fire them.
3. Give out more employee coupons, because we don't get a discount. Or at least discount lunch meals so we can afford to eat the food.
4. Choose Store Managers based upon ability, not seniority.
5. Pay part-time employees equally.
6. Pay out semi-annual bonuses for exemplary performance.

I LOVE shopping at Wegmans, but working here? No.. The company should not have earned #3, not by a long shot. Fix things to keep me here before my application at Costco gets accepted.

476 Other Employee Reviews for Wegmans (View Most Recent)

Overall a nice place to work

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Wegmans

Pros

Management is very understanding of employee concerns
    Everyone works together as a family
    Provide good Benefits
    Compensation is pretty good

Cons

Benefits don't kick in until a year after employment
    Have to be able to work during most holidays as Wegmans is open 364 days of the year
    Stand all day and only get a 10 min break every 4 hours

Give longer breaks to cashiers

Cashier & Helping Hands in High School and College

Current Employee - Front End Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Wegmans

Pros

- Easy to get time off
    - Decent pay for work done
    - Scholarship
    - Job is waiting for you when you come home for break

Cons

- Difficult for employees who go away to school to advance
    - Work gets passed down the todem pole and you are expected to complete what ever comes your away (empty garbage, clean garbage, etc)
    - Management some time looses sight of how a job has to be done in order to be efficient and provide customer service

Create special program for College students who are unable to work at school and come home for breaks and summer. Without these programs only the local student employees get to benefit. Wegmans lose alot of solid employees because of this.

There are newer employer reviews for Wegmans

Worked for Wegmans? Contribute to the Community!