My advice: Stay a member and do not work for the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Working with Weight Watchers members and helping them with their healthy lifestyle. Interacting with members. Interacting with some friendly colleagues.

Cons

-MISLEADING MANAGEMENT: Know that you MUST work as a receptionist first and that there is a critical need, which Weight Watchers will not tell you (at least not the management chain I worked for). Not everyone wants to work as a receptionist and deal with all the paperwork involved, especially working at a traveler center, at-work meeting, or traditional meeting. Most meetings are NOT at retail walk-in centers, so know that if you work there, it will probably NOT be at a retail center. What does this mean? LOADS of paperwork, processing payments, working as a cashier, and setup for the meeting.
- PAPERWORK: Multiple pieces of paper need to be submitted for each meeting, unless you are one of the few who work at a retail center. There is TOO Much paperwork and for the most part, the company is a dinosaur when it comes to technology. There aren't even electronic credit card swipe machines available at most meetings, so everything is done by hand. This makes it a terrible experience for those who are at the "front lines" and supposed to be the "Face of Weight Watchers." Give me a break!
- MANUAL LABOR: Non retail meetings involve setting up and tearing down each meeting. This is ridiculous and probably not what you are thinking when you consider working at Weight Watchers. The management DOES NOT tell you this when you apply. The scales you have to lift and set down are heavy!
- UNCARING MANAGEMENT: Management really does not care about employees at all. You are just a number in this company.
- NO MORE MAGIC: The magic of being a member disappears when you begin working at this company for all the reasons listed above.

Provide technology to ALL traditional, traveler and at-work meetings to eliminate all the paperwork.
Be truthful and honest with prospective employees. Do not mislead employees and tell them they can become leaders on the fast-track, because you know they have to "pay their dues" and do the grunt work of a receptionist first. Employees are angry and upset with Weight Watchers for a reason. Maybe it is time to conduct exit interviews to discover WHY people are leaving. Turnover is high because the job is terrible. For all the years I have been a Weight Watcher, I was and am satisfied with the program but working for the company the past few months has been a TERRIBLE experience!

Other Reviews for Weight Watchers

We treat members well , but not employees

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

Busy meetings, opportunity for good pay, however two tier payscale. Flexible hours, nice co-workers. Members make you feel good for helping them.

Cons

If you can't work you have to find your own sub for a meeting which can be very difficult to do. We are psychologists and life coaches for our members with very low pay for the tasks we perform.

Pay us to compensate for the immense responsibility we have as the "face" of WW. Make us truly feel like members first. Let us put in for days off and management finds subs.

Barbaric Pay and Unkind Territory management

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Weight Watchers

Pros

Helping members achieve their weight loss goals. It helps to keep presentation and meeting facility skills fresh.

Cons

Very low pay. Basically you receive a flat rate for prepping, leading, after-meeting paperwork, bank deposits, inventory management, contacting members during the week, sending motivational post cards, ... the list goes on. Field management is unsympathic and expects contract workers (that's everyone who interfaces with the members) to give 200%. The pay was not fully explained during the hiring process; it was glossed over and represented as being paid the flat rate for a "hour to an hour-and-a-half meeting." That's about 50% of the job effort and most meetings require 2-hours. I figure that I earn minimum wage when all of the hours are taken into account.

Listen to the feet on the street ... this is where the rubber meets the road ... your leaders and receptionists are the face of Weight Watchers ... the faces I see aren't happy. At some point, this strategy will fail. The problem starts at the top.

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers.

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!