I have helped many members reach their weight-related goals and this was the most rewarding part of the job.

Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader  in  Scarsdale, NY
Former Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Scarsdale, NY

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Very rewarding in helping people change their lives. Help keep my weight management under control. Meeting wonderful people. The program is healthy and works. The group support is priceless.

Cons

Technology is not there-they expect you to be a technician when computers are down, which is almost always. No tech support. Leaders are expected to carry WW money around and deposit it into their personal accounts or get money orders. Very backward way of doing business. Manual paperwork is ridiculous. No compensation for loyal part time employees. I worked for WW for 20 years and I finally decided to leave - didn't even get a thank you. Very poor management. WW is more interested in making money and paying celebrities big bucks, than appreciating their employees. Unsafe locations-you are expected to work alone at times-Very poor salary for what they expect. Management knows they have you right where they want you - it is hard to leave because of the members. That was the hardest part of leaving.

Get with the technology. Treat your employees with respect-stop taking things aways from them. Stop looking only at the numbers and look at the skills and passion of your employees. Create a better system in dealing with the money, which is so backwards. Don't expect the leader to bring a "bank" - we do not own the company. Stop threatening employees by taking meetings away when their wieght slips up a little. Do not expect the employees to vacuum, clean the bathrooms and take out the garbage. Last but not least, give your employees a better salary. The CEO should visit their centers and look at the working condition.

Other Reviews for Weight Watchers

Flexible hours doing something that makes a difference in people's lives

Former Employee - WW Receptionist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - WW Receptionist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

You play a part in improving people's lives physically and psychologically. If you are struggling with weight issues yourself, there is great support to mange your own weight.

Cons

If you need time off, you have to find your own sub. Management not always helpful. It did not always seem fair about how classes were assigned.

Having worked for WW for years, it seemed like there was a shift in the more recent years from being mostly about helping people lose weight to pushing products to make more money for the company.

My advice: Stay a member and do not work for the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Weight Watchers

Pros

Working with Weight Watchers members and helping them with their healthy lifestyle. Interacting with members. Interacting with some friendly colleagues.

Cons

-MISLEADING MANAGEMENT: Know that you MUST work as a receptionist first and that there is a critical need, which Weight Watchers will not tell you (at least not the management chain I worked for). Not everyone wants to work as a receptionist and deal with all the paperwork involved, especially working at a traveler center, at-work meeting, or traditional meeting. Most meetings are NOT at retail walk-in centers, so know that if you work there, it will probably NOT be at a retail center. What does this mean? LOADS of paperwork, processing payments, working as a cashier, and setup for the meeting.
    - PAPERWORK: Multiple pieces of paper need to be submitted for each meeting, unless you are one of the few who work at a retail center. There is TOO Much paperwork and for the most part, the company is a dinosaur when it comes to technology. There aren't even electronic credit card swipe machines available at most meetings, so everything is done by hand. This makes it a terrible experience for those who are at the "front lines" and supposed to be the "Face of Weight Watchers." Give me a break!
    - MANUAL LABOR: Non retail meetings involve setting up and tearing down each meeting. This is ridiculous and probably not what you are thinking when you consider working at Weight Watchers. The management DOES NOT tell you this when you apply. The scales you have to lift and set down are heavy!
    - UNCARING MANAGEMENT: Management really does not care about employees at all. You are just a number in this company.
    - NO MORE MAGIC: The magic of being a member disappears when you begin working at this company for all the reasons listed above.

Provide technology to ALL traditional, traveler and at-work meetings to eliminate all the paperwork.
    Be truthful and honest with prospective employees. Do not mislead employees and tell them they can become leaders on the fast-track, because you know they have to "pay their dues" and do the grunt work of a receptionist first. Employees are angry and upset with Weight Watchers for a reason. Maybe it is time to conduct exit interviews to discover WHY people are leaving. Turnover is high because the job is terrible. For all the years I have been a Weight Watcher, I was and am satisfied with the program but working for the company the past few months has been a TERRIBLE experience!

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers.

Worked for Weight Watchers? Contribute to the Community!