Weight Watchers

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

Terrible

Former Employee - Receptionis in Thousand Oaks, CA
Former Employee - Receptionis in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of nice people that I trained with, loved it. Was training to be a receptionist

Cons

Horrible training for a very complex job, promises that were made that were not kept. After 6 mo of no work no meetings I quit

Get a group training program the is longer than two meeting and you will get quality employees that will stay, not trainers that are afraid they are going to lose hours if they train you, so they don't. Don't hire so many people when there is no work.

250 Other Employee Reviews for Weight Watchers (View Most Recent)

Lots of politics, process over product.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Weight Watchers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good offices, good benefits. Many people you will work with are committed to the goals of the company.

Cons

Skill at corporate politics seemed to be more valuable than skill at your job.

No way to make a decent living.

Current Employee - Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Meeting Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time

Pros

Helping people lose weight is wonderful. Between the members and the staff, I've gotten to know a lot of really great people. You have control over your schedule in that the Territory Manager will not take offense if you have to turn down a meeting.

The culture is very supportive. You don't need to be afraid to let a hiring manager know you have a family, for instance. The people who work for Weight Watchers are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

The pay is insanely low for the skills we bring to the meeting room. We facilitate discussion among a large group of people and are often in a position to counsel members at a very intimate level. There has been no pay increase in the years I've worked for Weight Watchers. I made a very bad assumption when I was hired that like most other companies, there would be a cost of living increase or a pay raise based on good performance or years of service. Management will tell you that you can make more money by selling more product. Our commission is 10% when leading a meeting, 5% if you are the receptionist. If there is more than one receptionist at a meeting, that 5% is split between the receptionists working that meeting. At best, you can make $100 if you sell $1,000 worth of product. I've never seen a meeting sell more than a couple hundred dollars worth of product, even with a meeting team that tends to 'sell a lot of product.'

Service providers get paid by the meeting, and any work done outside a meeting is entered into a separate time sheet. The majority of out of meeting pay is at minimum wage, or $.050 above minimum wage, with the exception of Leader Coaches and Ambassadors, they get approximately $6 over minimum wage. Weight Watchers does not make it clear that we CAN get paid outside of the meeting, and many service providers feel like they 'don't get paid for that.' Others feel like the pay is so low, it's not work taking the time to enter the work into a time sheet. This is insanity!! If you are working for a corporation, you should be getting paid!

If you are lucky enough to get enough meetings to earn vacation pay, you only get paid for meetings when you take a vacation. You will not get paid for any open hours or misc. work you normally do in a week if you take vacation.

There is a yearly celebrations event where meetings and staff are given awards based on performance (sales, meeting attendance, etc.). Meetings get little statues for their prize, the top 20% of leaders are designated 'Diamond Leaders' and given a gold button with a little diamond. The Diamond Leader designation is good in that it is not based on sales, but member success. Still, a Diamond Leader is paid the same a a Leader hired tomorrow. At this year's event, the management announced that the company earned 1.8 billion dollars in 2011. My mouth just dropped!! How dare they announce this to a group of people making minimum wage (or less if they aren't reporting their time worked!).

If you lead 'At Work' meetings, you are responsible for ordering and storing all of your meeting materials and product in your own home. There is no compensation for storage, and the job isn't structured in a way that you can take this as a write off on your taxes.

We get multiple emails per week from various individuals that we have to read to stay informed. There is also a staff web site that we are supposed to check regularly for updates. There is no compensation for this. Once, I was unable to check the staff site for a few weeks, and spent 45 minutes catching up. I put this on a time sheet. I was called and specifically told that we do not get paid to read the staff site. Yet, management continually refers us to this site to gather information on how to do our jobs.

There are no opportunities for advancement. Weight Watchers has consolidated some of the management positions that they used to have at the Territory level (Corporate Account Manager, Trainer) to either consultancies or centralized teams.

Apply the same Service Vision to the staff that we deliver to the members. You have a lot of very talented leaders and receptionists, reward their gift with a livable wage. You also have some not so great leaders and receptionists, who manage to stick around regardless of how they upset members or deliver information that is not part of the Weight Watchers plan.

If you are not going to change the pay structure, be HONEST with new employees when you hire them. Flat out say, "The pay will never change, and you will not be able to earl a living wage here."

If employees are going to store items in their homes, compensate them for it.

There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers