There are newer employer reviews for Weight Watchers

Weight Watchers forces employees to take training at minimum wage

Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Leader in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Program, wonderful member interaction, excellent co-workers

Cons

Many required training sessions that are mandatory but paid at minimum wage. Often given during weekends. Lots of ancillary work required that is paid at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Any mandatory training should occur during normally scheduled work hours and should equate to a leader or receptionist's normal rate of pay. Also there should be pay for all the emails we are required to read during the week. Lastly Weight Watchers is a SERVICE. We have never been NOR should we EVER be, let alone refer to ourselves as a STORE. If we are our STORE we reduce our members to consumers. That is an egregious mis-step and I cannot fathom Jean Neidich would agree with this direction the company is taking. Our members are not stupid. They recognize this and we are doomed to lose them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Long time employee frustrated by management decisions, low pay and poor training

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Weight Watchers part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of this job is working with the members. You develop an investment in their success at the program. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing a member get to their goal weight. I also always enjoyed the other staff members I worked with.

Cons

The pay is very low. You are paid by the meeting, not by hours worked. Whether your meeting takes an hour and a half or two hours or more, your pay is the same. And good luck trying to make sense of your paycheck. In the 12+ years I worked there, I could never explain exactly how I was compensated. There is a set base pay plus commission on product sales and number of members in the meeting. But how that is figured never made any sense. Receptionists must supply their own pot of money for making change, which means constant trips to the bank to get proper change, all uncompensated. In fact, many tasks expected from you are uncompensated, including checking email for communication from management and reading the staff web site for notices of sales and other communication from the company. In an effort to save money in the last few years, job training has moved from face to face meetings to online webinars and computer based training. As a result, the quality of the training provided has gone downhill considerably. Field staff are treated very poorly. You can be removed from any meeting you work without any notice at all. And not because you have done something wrong, but simply because they want to make a change. This seems to happen quite often. This job was not my main source of income, so this didn't affect me much when I was pulled from a meeting. But I saw this done to others who were counting on the income from their meetings and they were definitely hurt by the loss of income.

Advice to Management

Field staff should be listened to and treated with respect. Communicate better. Improve the training process so that new employees know what they are doing before they start working. Improve the website and the mobile apps. You have built your program to emphasize these things, and yet often they do not work properly, which frustrates members.

Extremely disappointed and surprised.

Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Weight Watchers Meeting Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Weight Watchers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The members are the reason to work for Weight Watchers. These members are all battling to reach and maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. It is really hard work and the fact that I succeeded in that quest gives me a unique vantage point from which to support their efforts.

Cons

There is too much unpaid work and expense. Too many leaders and receptionist are working for our franchise in Central Ohio that are not maintaining their weight and management looks the other way. The leaders at their weight with talent and skills are not given the option to do the meetings because they are amazing it is more a competition of popularity with the management. Yes people do very well but the program suffers. The procedures are outdated and take so much time. WWI doesn't pay well but our franchise pays even worse. WW preys upon the employees desire to give back and share what has changed their lives with members with emotional abuse. Understaffed, untrained staff, and a lack of vision is WW both the corporation and our franchise. In our franchise staff is often working for less than minimum wage. If you ask about pay and or working conditions the auto response is "Well we don't do this work for the money..." or "no one makes anyone do this work...." and WWI is not a non-profit. Leaving is hard because I find myself very committed to the members and I know the leader that might follow me could be terrible. I believe meetings are the single component that has led to WW being the most effective weight loss program for years. The meetings, leaders, and receptionist are the heart of the program.

Advice to Management

Initially, I want to say stop calling yourself management. I have to acknowledge that they managed to get me with all of my talent and skill set to work for them for about $8 an hour. That wage doesn't include the many hours of unpaid preparation and training. They are obviously very good at taking advantage of caring people.