Weil Gotshal

Mid Level Corporate Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Weil Gotshal full-time

Pros

Flashy clients, flashy deals... Not to be glib but we really do represent the best and brightest PE clients, who in turn do the deals that grab the headlines. Take that for whatever it may be worth to you in terms of your professional gratification as a corporate attorney or law student who wants to work on PE deals.

Cons

We have a well-earned reputation as a sharp elbowed and somewhat brutal place to work.

Keep up the good work

52 Other Employee Reviews for Weil Gotshal (View Most Recent)

A great place to work until the arrogance of ignorance took over some staff departments.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Weil Gotshal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many smart people who care about the quality of their work. First-rate law firm. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Outdated management methods based on secrecy, destructive competition, divisiveness.

Learn to make informed business decisions and rely less on long-held but outdated beliefs, intuitions and anecdotal information.

Great place to get the best clients, but not so transparent about the reviews

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Weil Gotshal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weil was great from the perspective of a firm with high standards and highly professional environment. The training was top notch. The quality of work was unparalleled- we got to work on the best of the best corporate clients.

Cons

I guess something that is necessary for any large organization- making connections with the people that matter. I believe in the end I realized that it would have helped for me to make such contacts (of partners who would be strong supporters).

Also, one big aspect in which they need to change is the transperancy about the review process. They say they donot consider billable hours for reviews/bonuses, but thats WRONG. They, like all large law firms, consider billable hours- dont be under an illusion that they are going to follow what they are saying about billable hours. They also had stealth layoffs during the economic downturn in 2008-09 which was disappointing because they had some of the best and biggest clients of bankruptcy at that time.

My experience working at Weil was great in terms of the quality of projects I got the opportunity to work on. However, if there is one thing I would advise you to change is- Be more clear about reviews and review processes. It is always good to have transperancy about the review process and what goes into it.

There are newer employer reviews for Weil Gotshal