There are newer employer reviews for WellCare

No career growth, people are frustrated and big gap in processes and always playing catch up!

I have been working at WellCare (more than an year)

Pros

Job security - well, this is still a false notion. Once CMS audits the company or the company loses star scores that means company will lose contracts and that would mean layoffs! everything is hanging by a thread. Since the medicare/medicaid space is monopolized by few firms they will continue to survive.

Cons

* below average market pay
* monthly healthcare premiums rose 40% for 2013. this was difficult to digest considering you are working for a healthcare firm.
* only 2 weeks PTO whereas the industry trend is towards 3 or 4 weeks of PTO.
* No sharing of wealth - Senior management get stock options, bonuses, short term and long term incentives and a separate retirement plan.
* Business process - most of it is broken and its running on patch work.
* Communication - all internal communication from upper management is via emails. so far, I haven't seen any VP and above attend any town halls meeting or take questions!

* Put Employees first and I repeat, employees first.
* Fix business process
* Improve our star scores( star scores went down across the board and yet senior management gets 300% bonus for 2012 - what is the explanation?) Tie star scores to bonuses!!
* Provide generous PTO and Sick days and re-instate federal holidays like MLK day, Presidents day etc.

154 Other Employee Reviews for WellCare (View Most Recent)

not a good place to work

I have been working at WellCare full-time

Pros

not much to say here

Cons

mid management is totally unskilled and senior management turns a blind eye

learn how to do your job

So focused on the small stuff, they are missing the big picture.

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at WellCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks come on time. Work from home program is good.

Cons

No communication, the CEO speaks once a quarter to answer pre-screened questions with scripted responses. No company culture, no common goals between departments leading to conflicting priorities. This is the most disjointed, siloed company I have ever worked for. Employees who make it longer than five years are solid "B" players, most likely because they have given in to their frustrations. Micromanagement runs rampant. What you are told toaday will change tomorrow and you will be held accountable for not reading the minds of those who make the decisions. There is no chance to suceed here, rather you try to fail less miserably than your peers to earn a "meets requirements" on your review. Mediocrity is encouraged. If you are an "A" player with ambition and drive this is not the place for you, as it is not for me. On my way out....

Employees don't leave companies, they leave managers. Build a consistent culture and make your managers - all of them - accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for WellCare