WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com
  www.wellpoint.com
There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint

Depending on the boss, it's an okay place to work

Current Employee - Senior Group Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Group Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

Wellpoint provides a work from home program but it's all dependent on your boss. The company allows employees to wear jeans 5 days a week if they wish.

Cons

Management are only interested in managing up but not down. IT values the outsource help more then their own employees. Teams are built virtually and everything is on the phone and live meetings. You can work with people for years and never see them face to face. Also, it's inconsistent in terms of who gets to work from home and who don't as well as who gets flex time. The higher up you are, the more flexible they are with your schedule.

Executive management are unaware of the fluff their direct report tell them. They are not in tune wit the people who are doing the work but instead the management staff that tells them what they want to hear so they themselves can get promoted. It's all about managing up.

561 Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint (View Most Recent)

Hard work and integrity and experience will get you nowhere here.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

Initially, the pay and benefits

Cons

The corrupt culture that gives lipservice to fairness and diversity, but employs unfair, unprofessional tactics to achiev a specific goal.

If you chose to hire inexperienced, and/or uneducated people to fill your management/senior level positions, you must be willing and able to oversee their day to day activities., lest they continuosly perform in an unprofessional manner and make serious mistakes. It is difficult to work along side of such individuals.

Excellent training and an at least semi-professional attitude goes a long way with with even the lowest level employee. Intimidation tactics are the calling card or inferior/inexperienced management style.

Beware, career advancement may not exist for you.

Current Employee - Accountant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

The best reason to work for WellPoint? Well, I guess I would love to work at WellPoint if I was unemployed and desperate for a job. Other than that, I don't see any other reason. Once you get here, you will see what I am talking about, and want to go back to your previous job and ask for your job back. People are nice, most are competant an cooperative. Benefits used to be leading in the country! Now, the benefits are in the middle of the pack, maybe even lagging.

Cons

Our department head communicated with us that promotions will be really hard to come by. They said that there better be a darn good reason for the promotion (ie: you've won the Nobel Peace prize for solving the healthcare problem). It's really frustrating to know that I'm in a dead-end career, and at the same time, sacrificing so much for my job. I can't say that all of the departments are like this, but beware, make sure you are clear with what your career opportunities are before coming over. I can only speak for a finance/acctg group within the company.

Understand that employees are people too, and that this is a two way street no matter what the job market is like.

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint