WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com
  www.wellpoint.com
There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint

Generally good place to work, but very stressful environment.

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

Great people, generally good management, salary OK, decent benefits and good opportunity for growth.

Cons

Culture changes, industry is in flux, very stressful work environment, unstable organizational changes. The healthcare industry is experiencing challenging times, so it will take grit and perseverance to successfully navigate through the coming changes over the next several years. WellPoint is positioning itself for those challenges and it is a stressful environment for its employees. Administrative efficiency and cost reductions have taken a toll on its employees.

I work with with some excellent, talented individuals; unfortunately, some have or are thinking about leaving the Company due to burn-out. I truly hope that senior management is monitoring employee retention.

561 Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint (View Most Recent)

Great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Business Change Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Change Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers great pay, benefits, and has a great diversity program. They helped pay for my MBA and I have progressed in the company as a result.

Cons

It has become very large and the politics have grown with it. Strategy planning seems to start in June but is not solidified until near the end of Q1 of the following year. It would be helpful to hit the ground running at the beginning of the year and better yet to have a rolling plan.

Decrease process as it impedes progress

Fair at best

Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer in Andover, MA

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent employment. Never any news of "downsizing".

Cons

Felt Underpaid for the amount of work. Worked an average of 5-10 hrs of overtime a week without compensation. Got more respect from the clients and general population than from company managment. Was told consisitently "It is what it is". High turnaround times (dictated by contract) increases stress level of the job. Lost 6 nurses in a month. There were only 12 on staff.

Should be better compensation for the "professional" role desired by the corporation. Nurses continually have the highest "trustworthy" ratings on a consistent basis according to Press-Gainey. Profit before people was uttered many times in the office. You should review how much time and money are required for new hire re-training; it is more cost effective to keep you employees content. My opinion of overworked and underpaid was shared by many coworkers. Management was treated well.

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint