WellPoint

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint

No room for advancement

Current Employee - Finance Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Finance Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large company but limited opportunities since corporate moved over to Indianapolis. They have 3 office locations in so cal.

Cons

Limited movement for opportunities. They have eliminated many positions and trying increase shareholder value. Limited focus on employee development.

Look to develop your employees

551 Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint (View Most Recent)

Like most companies.....

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generous Pay and good benefit.

Cons

Frequent change of management and re-organization. Frequent lay-offs. Has to be located in major offices such as Indianapolis, Cincinati, St Louis, and Los Angeles to have a good chance for career growth. This is a place where you really need to try hard to know someone or the management for career growth. There are a lot of example of mediocre folks in high positions...

Focus on people who can do the job, pull the boat forward, get the revenue as well as keeping the cost reasonable. Get rid of folks who just do the show and tell a few lies.

Wasn't always like this

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent people. I've worked with several departments and have only run into a few bad apples. The lower-level managers tend to be better.

Cons

The benefits have gone from ok to terrible. We have to pay for our plans out of our own pockets and not every plan is available to the employees. The copays keep going up, to the point where it's difficult to be able to afford going to the doctor.

Upper management is also disconnected from the lower ranks. Everyone lives in fear of a layoff and no one plans for the future.

Ten years ago, this was a good company to work for, with upper management that took the time to get to know their people. Now, it's a travesty of rotating management that feels the best way to profitability is to squeeze their employees to the point where they hate their company.

Treat your employees with respect and you'll get more productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint