WellPoint

www.wellpoint.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint

Just another giant, from an IT perspective

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Technical Staff in Miami, FL

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The group I work with is experienced and professional, and we get along well. Current manager is probably the best I have ever worked under.

Benefits are about average, or possibly a little better than average, but the health insurance is more costly than one might expect, mostly because it is pretty comprehensive.

If you are flexible in your tech skills, it is possible to move around in the IT organization.

Cons

Like any large publicly traded company, your experience will depend entirely on the particular group you work in.

Overly-reliant on IBM for infrastructure. It's a mixed result, with some groups being good and professional, and others less than useful.

Stock market likes the new CEO, but a new CEO might feel a need to mark his territory some time in the next year or so.

Government changes in health insurance regulations make everyone in the company a little jumpy.

Remember that in the health insurance industry, your data is EVERYTHING.

578 Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for..

I have been working at WellPoint full-time

Pros

I know it all depends on your team and immediate manager, I should say I enjoy working for my team in WellPoint. Pros include healthy work culture, work-life balance, flexibility and benefits.

Cons

None. I really can't think of any.

Overall a good company to work for but has some major cons

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements (work remotely, etc.)
    Talented work force
    Good compensation

Cons

*Processes / procedures are extremely inefficient (and have been for quite some time).
    *Too many reorgs (at least once or twice a year). Just when things start to stabilize, everything is uprooted again for another reorg (and RIFs).
    *Development of talent used to be a priority but no longer is.
    *Health benefits aren't as good as you would expect from a company whose business is health insurance.
    *Too many useless meetings.
    *Relatively simple things are made complicated (may be side effect of being a very large company)
    *Limited advancement opportunities for remote employees.

Correct above cons, but especially the first one. Associates have been saying for YEARS on the associate survey that processes are inefficient, but nothing has been done to improve them.

There are newer employer reviews for WellPoint