One actuary's experience with WellPoint

Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Associate Actuary in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Intelligent coworkers - strong management - reasonable work/life balance

Cons

operational structure / management structure could use an overhaul - but that is usually the case for any large employer

Advice to Management

focus on the organizational structure and lines of communication - reducing the amount of REQUIRED communication between areas while increasing the overall LEVEL of communication is important so that no area becomes siloed

Other Employee Reviews for WellPoint

An okay place to work

Current Employee - Claims Processor II in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Claims Processor II in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Generous paid time off and work-at-home opportunities. Senior management really do believe in a balanced life between home responsibilities and workload for their employees. Benifits are pretty good, but seem to be getting more expensive (and covering less) with each passing year.

Cons

Micro-managing and being told what to do and don't really don't want or value your feedback on an operations level. It seems the harder you work the more they expect from you as opposed to recognizing good, loyal, hard working people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, sometimes they have ideas on how to get things done more efficiently and to be a bit more generous with annual raises.

Advice for working for WellPoint.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plano, TX

Pros

The work environment is nice. There are people that have been there since they started in Plano that are very willing to help you. Recently there have been some very good changes due to the merger with Anthem and Angela Braly becoming CEO. Her vision of what our company can be is inspiring.

Cons

Their compensation package is pretty good. Not quite as good as some of the insurance plans that some of our members have, which is discouraging. You would think as working for a pharmacy company that you would have the best benefits of any company. There is so much to know, and things change with the insurance companies that sometimes we aren't notified about until after their members are calling us.

Advice to Management

As the first line in speaking to members, please continue to develop reliable software that is reliable and easy to use. Decide if we are a true customer service company or give just enough information to satisfy the member. Make our salaries and benefits so attractive that we have so many people wanting to work for WellPoint that we hire only the best. Realize the importance of the front line in keeping the members getting the best service and the insurance companies extremely happy.