Wellmark

There are newer employer reviews for Wellmark

I love working here!

Current Employee - Health and Care Management in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Health and Care Management in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wellmark truly values its members. Every decision we make is based on the best way we can serve the member, in terms of utilizing the benefits the specific member has and alternatives that can be made. They also value their employees. Two great benefits include a contribution from the foundation to up to 5 non-profits of your choice in Iowa or South Dakota based on volunteer hours. 240 volunteer hours per year = $10000 contribution. There is also a $10000/year educational benefit that you can take advantage of as soon as you start. There is a big focus on happy, healthy engaged employees to help serve their community at large.

Cons

Just when you think you have a policy down, it will change. Then the process will change. I think that is the "nature of the beast" when you are employed at any insurance company. Sometimes we have to make difficult decisions based on coverage.

Upper management is very accessible; in fact you can often find the CEO eating breakfast in the cafeteria if he is in town, and welcomes anyone to come talk to him. Continue to be accessible with an open-door policy.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Wellmark (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

I have been working at Wellmark

Pros

Positive environment, employee focused culture

Cons

Demanding day-to-day work and challenging technical environment

Great company in most aspects

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Wellmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, friendly people, benefits and comfortable environment.

Cons

Pay starts at low-ball level until negotiated. Can't work from home. Management is very last minute with announcements. Cheap with budgets.

It would be great to let employees know things in the works rather than using last minute meetings. Cost savings is pushed too much when the company is well off.

There are newer employer reviews for Wellmark